Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
ashman70
Expert
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Both

Hypothetical question

Post by ashman70 »

Lets say I am replicating an Exchange 2010 server every hour. Let's say the primary server suffers a database failure at 2pm kicking everyone out of Outlook. I can spin up the last replica of Exchange getting everyone back online. Without know what caused the database to dismount in the first place, isn't it reasonable to assume that the replica might suffer the same fate? I realize there are many things that can cause an Exchange database to dismount but if it's a problem within the database itself, my thinking is that that problem will also exist with the replica and it too will crash not long after being put into production. The same would be said for restoring from a backup too.

Am I wrong on this?
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Hypothetical question

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Yes, you are 100% correct. Any backup solution just check that the data is 1:1 in the backup or replica. It will not detect any corruption within Exchange. But Veeam has a very cool technology that is called SureBackup ... or in this case SureReplica. You can let Veeam automatically spin up the replica VM(s) on the second site and check if the Information Store will come up. You can as well add additional scripts with what ever test you want to perform.

This way you can be sure that in a failover situation Exchange will come up.