Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
steuphemia
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Nicolas Zafiriou

I AM NEW VEEAM USER

Post by steuphemia »

Hi
We are very new in terms of using the Veeam solution.
i just need some straightforward directions regarding the installation of the sw\

we are running 2 esxi 5.1 servers (the idea is to have one in production mode and the other in standby). I need to setup backups and replicas - i would like the replicas to be manually switched to failover mode.
my question is: where do i install the s/w and how does it see the vmware servers?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: I AM NEW VEEAM USER

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Nicolas,

It doesn't matter where you install your backup server. You may want to install it on the "standby" server in order not to load your production server with backup process.

See our Evaluator's Guide for further details on the common actions you should take > http://www.veeam.com/veeam_backup_evalu ... are_pg.pdf

Thanks!
steuphemia
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Nicolas Zafiriou

Post by steuphemia »

Hello Vitaliy and many thanks for your reply.

I still have some questions though
Firstly, do i need to install it as an appliance on the esxi server or do I install it as an application on any VM?
Secondly, what happens if there's hardware failure on the standby box?
Also, can the management s/w be installed on a 3rd independent machine?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

1. Veeam B&R is a Windows-based application, so you need either virtual machine or physical machine to install it.
2. In order to protect your Veeam B&R server, you can either use remote SQL Server, backup Veeam B&R using backup jobs or leverage Veeam Configuration Backup Utility.
3. If you're referring to a separate Veeam backup console, then it is not possible yet. Veeam backup console is part of Veeam B&R server.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Generally it’s recommended to have two instances of VB&R - one that is deployed in the production will be responsible for local backup job, meanwhile, the other in DR site for replication jobs. Such scenario guarantees that if any disaster happens (primary site goes down, for instance), the required operations (Failover, Failback) can be easily started from additional backup server.

Additionally, if you’re concerned with traffic saving, it might be worth deploying backup proxy at both ends (one closer to production and one to colo site). Having proxies at both ends allows replication data to cross the existing link in highly-compressed and deduplicated state, etc.

Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

steuphemia wrote:Also, can the management s/w be installed on a 3rd independent machine?
There is also a web-based optional component called Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager that offers a consolidated view of all you backup servers, allowing to centrally control and manage all jobs through a single "pane of glass", edit and clone jobs, monitor job state and get reporting data across all backup servers.