Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
dimaslan
Service Provider
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Dimitris Aslanidis

Instant Disk Recovery, what happens during finalization?

Post by dimaslan »

Hello,

We have done an instant disk recovery for a 2.3 TB disk for a file server since yesterday. We started migration to production right away and it's at about 60% now, however because a lot of users accessing a lot of files on that server, I was trying to find out what happens during the last part of the finalization. I know for the Instant VM recovery the VM is briefly suspended and no work is lost.
Since this is a highly transactional file server though (also has some apps pointing to it) and this was quite the outage when it went down, I would like to know what to expect at the end. Will it suspend the whole VM or the users' access?
Do I need to let users know to avoid making changes or even save documents locally for some time when this migration is expected to finish?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Instant Disk Recovery, what happens during finalization?

Post by Mildur »

Hello Dimitris

We will use Storage vMotion or our own quick migration to finalize the disk instant recovery session.
There could be a performance degradation if you have moved the disk with Storage vMotion. It could have side effects for a high transactional application. But normally it doesn't prevent end users to work with the server.

If you have chosen Veeam's Quick Migration method (or Storage vMotion is not available), Veeam will suspend or power off the VM for a short period of time during the end of the migration process.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software