Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
tmoehle
Influencer
Liked: 3 times

Re: IPv6 support in veeam v9

Post by tmoehle » 2 people like this post

I just added an IPv6-only storage server to my hosting environment and naturally assumed that I could use it as a repository for Veeam B&R. I have to say I am completely speechless after realizing, that Veeam is not supporting IPv6 connections in 2022. We're not talking 2002, we're not talking 2012, we're talking about 2022. IPv6 connections will seamlessly handled by any operating system on the market for years now. Reading this thread and reading the constant deflections of Veeam staff makes me seriously doubt if I should trust Veeam to handle my backups in the future. This is not an obsucure feature, this is a major connectivity roadblock for all modern networks and it is even more astounding, since you'd not even have to do much to support it. Why does your software even care to what kind of IP address my hostname resolves to? Veeam software is broken if it can not connect from one host to another.

I don't know what to say. I'm honestly shocked by the way Veeam developers are treating this.
rennerstefan
Veeam Software
Liked: 146 times
Full Name: Stefan Renner

Post by rennerstefan » 2 people like this post

Hi,

thanks for adding your feedback to the thread.
IPv6 will be supported by the upcoming v12 release.

Thanks
Stefan Renner

Veeam PMA
tmoehle
Influencer

Post by tmoehle »

I just installed Veeam B&R 12, and I still get the same old "IP endpoints list is empty" error for IPv6-only hostnames. I thought IPv6 was supposed to come with Veeam 12?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Where exactly did you get it and did you open a support ticket already?
tmoehle
Influencer

Post by tmoehle »

I disabled my IPv4 wireguard tunnel and changed the DNS record for the linux host with my backup repository back to its actual IPv6 address (and not the VPN internal private IPv4). Then, within Veeam B&R, I went to Backup Infrastructure -> Managed Servers -> right click on the server -> properties. In the now opening "Edit Linux Server" window, I could see the host name of this machine on top. I verified that DNS correctly resolved to the correct IPv6 address by using Windows nslookup and hit the "Next" button on both the "Name" page, as well as the "SSH Connection" page in the "Edit Linux Server" window. The next step is that Veeam tries to connect via SSH and thats where I get this error message.

No, I haven't opened a support ticket yet.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev » 1 person likes this post

Installed or Upgraded an existing VBR server?
Upgrade preserves IPv4-only communication and You need to enable IPv6 communication using respectful checkbox under Network Traffic Rules > Networks.

/Thanks!
tmoehle
Influencer

Post by tmoehle »

Thanks! That was helpful advice. Manually enabling IPv6 communication helped!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev »

Thanks for coming back to confirm! Good time to finally lock this V9 thread then.