Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
veeeammeupscotty
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: JP

Is it possible to replicate a VM without creating a snapshot on the source first?

Post by veeeammeupscotty »

Since the backup job has already stored a full copy of the VM in the repository, is there an option to use the repository only instead of creating a snapshot and replicating the most recent state of the VM? It appears this would be the behavior if CBT is not available, but I would like to make this the default without disabling CBT. This will prevent a snapshot being there for a long time in the event of long-running replication.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110
The source backup proxy reads the VM data from the read-only VM disk and copies it. During incremental job sessions, the source proxy uses changed block tracking (CBT) to retrieve only those data blocks that have changed since the previous job session. If CBT is not available, the source proxy interacts with the backup repository to obtain replica metadata, and uses this metadata to detect blocks that have changed since the previous job session.
chris.childerhose
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 132 times
Full Name: Chris Childerhose

Re: Is it possible to replicate a VM without creating a snapshot on the source first?

Post by chris.childerhose »

I would think you should be able to use Replica Seeding for the first replica as per here - https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110

It will read the data at the DR site and create the VM from there.
-----------------------
Chris Childerhose
Veeam Vanguard / Veeam Legend / Veeam Ceritified Architect / VMCE
vExpert / VCAP-DCA / VCP8 / MCITP
Personal blog: https://just-virtualization.tech
Twitter: @cchilderhose
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Is it possible to replicate a VM without creating a snapshot on the source first?

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Replica seeding is not needed.
Create a Replica Job and select as source the backup target. This will create the VM out of the last backup restore point. Later you can just remove the repository source setting.
veeeammeupscotty
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: JP

Post by veeeammeupscotty »

In my source repositories for the replication job, I have already selected "From backup files (latest VM state available in backups)", but it still snapshots the source VM before replicating it. I assume turning on off change block tracking in advanced settings would prevent this from happening, but what are the consequences of this? Longer replication times? Inability to do incremental replication?
Regnor
VeeaMVP
Liked: 291 times
Full Name: Max

Post by Regnor »

If you replicate from backup then your VM shouldn't be touched at all by Veeam; regardless of the CBT state. If there's no restore point available you should get a warning instead of having the job replicating from production.

If you did select the correct repository and have a active backup job configured for the VM, then I would suggest to contact support.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »