Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
jammiedodger80
Novice
Liked: never

Is there a console available for connecting to B&R server?

Post by jammiedodger80 »

Hello - first time poster - Please be kind!

If I could just explain my situation first, it would make the question more understandable:

We have Veeam B&R 6.5 on a Windows 2008 Enterprise (32 bit) server.
We've just upgraded our license to Veeam B&R Enterprise. I would like to try an Exchange mailbox restore using Exchange Explorer, but it's only a 64 bit application.

The question: Is it possible to install a kind of Veeam B&R 'console' on an x64 computer to connect to the Veeam B&R server and perform a restore remotely? In the same way you can do that with other programs like Symantec BackupExec. Or will I need to reinstall my OS on the Veeam B&R server to x64 and start again?

Many thanks,
Jamie
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Is there a console available for connecting to B&R serve

Post by veremin »

Or will I need to reinstall my OS on the Veeam B&R server to x64 and start again?
Hi, Jamie. No, you don't need to do it. Instead, you just can install additional VB&R instance on a 64-bit machine, pass a corresponding backup file from a 32-bit machine to it, and use VEX without any issues.

Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Additionally, it is worth migrating to 64-bit Veeam backup server in the run-up to upgrading to Veeam B&R v7 as the upcoming version will support 64-bit OS only. This is extremely simple if using configuration backup and restore functionality.
jammiedodger80
Novice

Post by jammiedodger80 »

v.Eremin wrote: Instead, you just can install additional VB&R instance on a 64-bit machine, pass a corresponding backup file from a 32-bit machine to it, and use VEX without any issues.

Thanks.
Many thanks for the fast reply.
Would 'passing the corresponding backup file' be as simple as clicking "Import Backup" from the toolbar at the top, then browsing to the UNC of the file on the original VB&R server? Or is that not recommended? I don't really have the free space to copy a 100GB file across to my x64 computer (with the new instance of VB&R).

Jamie
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

You can only import backups from servers that are added to backup console. So, you will have to add 32-bit server to x64 backup console first, and only then import a backup file from it.

Moreover, please be aware that Veeam Exchange Explorer works with Exchange database files, instead of, backup data. Therefore, as additional workaround, you can restore corresponding database, using 32-bit server, move it to 64-bit instance and pass it afterwards as a source for VEX.

Thanks.
jammiedodger80
Novice

Post by jammiedodger80 »

v.Eremin wrote:You can only import backups from servers that are added to backup console. So, you will have to add 32-bit server to x64 backup console first, and only then import a backup file from it.
So, now I've got my x64 server up and running, I add the 32-bit server in as a "new MS windows managed server"? Will that server still operate independently, or will linking it to the x64 server cause any configuration changes on the 32-bit server?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

It will act independently and no configuration changes will be caused during adding process. After all, you can easily delete this server from a backup console, once the restoration task is finished.

Thanks.
jammiedodger80
Novice

Post by jammiedodger80 »

That's great. I've just implemented a solution using your advice.
Unfortunately, as my Exchange log files are on a different drive to the database, there's an extra step involved (launching an FLR session), but I was able to restore an item easily.

Many thanks to both of you for your advice.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Glad to hear that our help was useful. Feel free to contact us, should any additional help be needed. Thanks.