Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Jeff.O
Lurker
Liked: never

Is this possible? SAN Boot with Veeam B&R to VSA

Post by Jeff.O »

Hello -- Quick question

Is it possible to have 3 physical vSphere servers with VSA installed, that boot of a SAN datastore, be able to replicate the VMwares to that VSA instance?

Each of the servers have 4 local disks that are configured in a RAID5 configuration. I want to use VSA to "mirror/raid" the local disk of all 3 servers together to provide an additional level of HA in case the SAN dies. The servers are going to boot the virtual machines from the SAN Data store. However, in case the SAN has a problem, I want specific VM hosts to be replicated (automatically) to the VSA instance and have the hosts boot off the shared VSA instance. I feel this would create extremely high HA while still initially booting off the SAN.

Does that situation make sense?

Thanks
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: Is this possible? SAN Boot with Veeam B&R to VSA

Post by dellock6 » 2 people like this post

Hi Jeff, no problem at all, since the VSA will be connected to the ESXi server, Veeam will be able to see the datastores just like any other kind of storage.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6721 times

Post by Gostev »

Luca can tell you more about VSA then HP itself ;)
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Ahahahahahah!
Well, I think the OP was referring to the VMware VSA (one of the silliest name I heard in years, like Microsoft calling it's next OS just "OS"), but it's the same, once ESXi sees the VSA luns and formats them with VMFS (or mounts the NFS export) Veeam will be able to connect to them.
And since the VSA is already inside the ESXi, I would suggest going with Virtual Appliance mode, SAN mode on the VSA is like a matrioska doll...
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
Jeff.O
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by Jeff.O »

Thanks for the answers! I might have to try it with the free trial to see how I like it. I am not done setting up my test environment yet but wanted to try and get a feel for the answer before proceeding. My assumption was the answer you gave me.

Thanks again :)