Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Burt
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Burton Hooker

Issues restoring a DC VM

Post by Burt »

I was running a test restore of one of my domain controllers and wondered if anyone else had the same issues I did and what you did to resolve it. We are still using ESXI 5.5 but plan on upgrading soon. I removed the DC's VM from inventory, created a new folder for it, and moved the files to the new folder. That way if anything went wrong I could bring the original VM back up easily. I then deleted the empty folder and proceeded to do a restore of the VM to the same location using a restore point 26 days earlier. Everything seemed to go fine. I was able to add the restored VM to inventory and boot up the VM. I could even log into the VM with my domain credentials. However the DNS server function needed to be rebuilt and it appears the CA is not working either. I ended up removing the restored VM from inventory, moving it to a new folder, and bringing the original VM back up in it's original folder. Any idea why these didn't work and what I can do to get them working? Thank you.
ChuckS42
Expert
Liked: 27 times
Full Name: Chuck Stevens

Re: Issues restoring a DC VM

Post by ChuckS42 »

I don't think you can just restore a domain controller like that. Have you followed this document?

https://www.veeam.com/blog/backing-up-d ... ction.html
Veeaming since 2013
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

There's also a detailed KB article describing different domain recovery scenarios, worth a look.
Burt
Novice

Post by Burt »

Thank you I will check those out.
Burt
Novice

Post by Burt »

OK after reading through those it seems like I did everything correctly. I am using application aware processing in my backups. Though I don't remember seeing the DC boot in DSRM. It did log into the domain just fine so that much worked. I didn't think to try opening any of the AD tools. I know DNS was missing the database and suspect the CA wasn't working as it caused our Cisco Jabber clients to lose their connection. I'll give it another try in 2 weeks in my next maintenance window.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1407 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert » 1 person likes this post

Hi Burton,
I have some tips and comments.

If you backup a DC in Veeam Guest Processing mode then we leave some restore awarenes flags on the VM. If the DC is restored then, we will automatically bring this VM in non-authoritative restore mode. https://www.veeam.com/kb2119 https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... ve-restore
This happens only if the following conditions are true:
- Backup with Veeam Guest Processing successful.
- Restore done with networking enabled (the network itself do not matter, what matters is that the VM network adapters are connected.
- The VM will boot multiple times automatically to set the VM up in non-authoritative restore mode. If you access the console in that time or logon this process is interrupted.
- Overal correct AD processing can is only supported by Microsoft when you have only one network card present. If you have multiple then some of the services will only bind to one of the network cards which can switch if you restore VMs. Avoid this as it is anyway not supported by AD.

Non-Authoritive restore mode is used when you add the domain controller back to an existing domain. Some of the services go only online after they had a chance to get the latest updates from the other domain controllers to avoid issues. I guess this is what you are seeing here.

If it is your only AD server and you want to recover your domain completely, you need to set authoritative restore mode manually. https://www.veeam.com/kb2119

I hope the above helps.

Restore of very old domain controller restore points can have some side effects because of Kerberos certificate updates and and related trusts (check event logs of the restored server). I would more look into our granular AD restore methods if you want to revert some changes that happened there. Check our "compare" feature in the Active Directory Explorer.