Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Pierpa
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

JOb Deduplication with datadomain

Post by Pierpa »

Hi,
I have followed all the raccomendations in order to correctly setup jobs using a ddomain. Therefore no compression and unflagged deduplication box.
But, when I see my jobs reports, I always see numbers related with deduplication.
1) Have I to tak into account these deduplication numbers or not??
2) Based on what I've understood, if I flag "no dedupe" this is totally done on datadomain side. Is it true ??

I'm also in big troubles to understand the relationship between
- total size
data read
transferred
backup size
dedupe
compression

I have seen some explanation but thay does not fit to my numbers
For example:

Total size: 12,1 TB
Data read: 435,9 GB
Transferred 290,8 GB
Backup size: 292,2
Dedupe 24,1x ( '???????????????? )
Compression 0,9x (???????????????????????????????)

Could you please give me hints on my questions 1-2 and on the maths on how are interrelated th vaules I've posted?? I'm really confused...

P.S. Veeam is v11a P20220302

Thanks in advance
Pierpa
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: JOb Deduplication with datadomain

Post by foggy »

Hi Pierpa, this is the deduplication you're talking about. For a better understanding of the job stats reporting, please review the following threads:

Veeam Backup Statistics
Interpreting real-time statistics
Origin 2000
Service Provider
Liked: 20 times

Post by Origin 2000 »

Pierpa wrote: Jul 31, 2022 2:41 pm
Total size: 12,1 TB
The 12.1TB are the size of all of your configurated VMs (vDisks)
Data read: 435,9 GB
Because of the famous change block tracking(CBT) a incremental type of backup style is easy to archived, because of a low change ratio or small period of time compared to the last backup, because of thin provioned vDisks your Veeam Proxies only needs to read around 435,9GB of data from your virtual infrastructure to fetch the changes.

Notice: CBT have a variable block size and they are around 64k which meant that CBT is slightly greater that the data which have changed from your GuestOS perspective.
Transferred 290,8 GB
Because of optimizations
  • Skipping Swap file
  • Skipping deleted files within the NFTS
  • Compression
  • Dedup
Only 290.8GB needs to be send to the backup repository.
Backup size: 292,2
Dedupe 24,1x ( '???????????????? )
Compression 0,9x (???????????????????????????????)
In my DD environments the Read and Transfer value are always the same like 1.0 or 1.<verysmall> value because we always have Thinpro vDisks and not so much free space within the VMs and Compression/Dedup is disabled. Within the Veeam GUI i dont see any values for Compression/Dedup in the history reports :( I have right now no access to the email reports but i expect 0 bytes for compression/dedup because of the type of my backup repository(DD appliance).

Regards,
Joerg
Pierpa
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Post by Pierpa »

Hi,
thanks for your explanations. Unfirtunately, I cannot understand why I see deduplica values even if I'M SURE THAT DEDUPLICA AND COMPRESSION ARE DISABLED onto the JOBS.
This is what I really cannot understand. Should be that this dedup values are a feedback from DDOMAIN ( I strongly doubt )?? So, the non-deduped data should be Transferred x Dedupe ?? But there is no corresponding value , in Read or in Total size.....

Any additional help is strongly appreciated.

Pierpa