Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Oletho
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Ole Thomsen

KB1915 and Veeam8

Post by Oletho »

Is KB1915 solved in Veeam8?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: KB1915 and Veeam8

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Ole, since this issue relates to SQL Server VSS writer, then I'm not sure that anything has changed in v8, but I will double check with the devs next week. Thanks!
Oletho
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Ole Thomsen

Post by Oletho »

Vitaly, did you get any reply?

Adding worker threads solves the problem, but I would like to hear if the official Veeam suggestion still is to move some of the databases to another server.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, I did get it. My previous assumption was correct, the success of VSS freeze operation depends on the SQL Server hardware and the number of databases you're trying to prepare for hot backup. Microsoft has a restriction for this process, it should be done within 60 seconds.

In order to make it work, you should do the following:
1. Make sure your SQL Server has enough CPU/Memory resources. It should be powerful enough to do VSS freeze operation in time.
2. You can adjust the default setting of the SQL Server that controls how many databases are prepared for hot backup at a time. Here is a web link for more info > http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190219.aspx

P.S. this recommendation was successfully used by one of our customers who had around 7000 databases on the SQL Server.