Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
BrianBuchanan
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Brian Buchanan

KB2989 "Restart Required"-Now using NBD instead of hot-add

Post by BrianBuchanan »

Hello,

Support case 02306553.

I've followed KB2989 to resolve the "Restart Required" messages, which worked, but it's because the proxy switched from Hot-Add to NBD.

My proxies are using "VMware Paravirtual" (PVSCSI) for controller 0, so as per the KB I simply added an LSI Logic SAS adapter.

To be complete, my proxies originally were using LSI Logic SAS controller 0, and the second option of the KB seemed cleaner so I went through the process to switch controller 0 to PVSCSI, and then added the LSI Logic SAS Adapter.

I believe this is the original discussion about this issue that lead to KB2989 being created.
vmware-vsphere-f24/windows-server-2019- ... 59730.html

My goal is to get the proxies back to Hot-Add instead of NBD.

Thanks!
BrianBuchanan
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Brian Buchanan

Re: KB2989 "Restart Required"-Now using NBD instead of hot-add

Post by BrianBuchanan »

I think I found the solution and a clarification might be helpful in the documentation https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110
SCSI 0:X controller must be present on a VMware backup proxy. In the opposite case, VM data processing in the Virtual appliance transport mode will fail.
My SCSI 0 was PVSCSI and SCSI 1 was LSI. I flipped it around, so SCSI 0 was LSI and SCSI 1 was PVSCSI (with the O/S disk) and after editing the proxies in Veeam (right-click, edit, finish) my test job is now using hot add.

KB2989 might also be assuming the PVSCSI is controller 1 so the instructions that say "Add an LSI Logic SAS adapter" assumes it will be added as SCSI 0.