Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
pirx
Veteran
Liked: 75 times

Linux proxy and host discovery error

Post by pirx »

Case 05070726 . Yesterday we migrated to v11a. The plan was to switch to new Linux proxies, these hosts were already used as repositories before. We use IBM Spectrum Storage integration, but none of the Linux proxies were able to issue a snapshot. The Linux proxies didn't even appear in the storage rescan in IBM integration. Nothing.

I think we found the reason for this, there are errors during host discovery regarding removable device /dev/sda. Once this device is removed (echo 1 > /sys/block/sda/device/delete) the storage rescan includes the Linux proxies. I didn't test the storage snapshots yet.

This is clearly a workaround, but I'm wondering how we can be the first ones to fail on a Linux host with removable media device? That just seems odd.

Code: Select all

13.10.2021 17:16:36 Error    [sdeu4001-nas] Refresh Linux host failed Error: No medium found
                               POSIX: Failed to open file [/dev/sda].
                               Agent failed to process method {DiskManagement.QueryScsiDiskPath}.

13.10.2021 17:16:33 Error    [sdeu4001-nas] Disks discovery failed Error: No medium found
                               POSIX: Failed to open file [/dev/sda].
                               Agent failed to process method {DiskManagement.QueryScsiDiskPath}.

13.10.2021 17:16:39            Repository DE-WBE-XFS-B01-E02 rescanned successfully
13.10.2021 17:16:39 Error    Host discovery failed

[root@sdeu4001 VeeamBackup]# lsscsi  |grep sda
[0:0:0:0]    disk    Generic- SD/MMC CRW       1.00  /dev/sda
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: Linux proxy and host discovery error

Post by Gostev »

I find nothing odd about this. Support for advanced transport modes on Linux proxy is a brand new V11 feature, so we are starting to get feedback about all the corner cases only now.
pirx
Veteran

Post by pirx »

Honestly, a server with an connected CDROM drive doesn't sound like a corner case to me. Maybe there something else which we are not seeing yet.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev »

At least in my world CDROM sounds like "dinosaur". I forgot the last time I had to burn a CD, but pretty sure it was over 10 years ago... I just install everything from USB sticks.
pirx
Veteran

Post by pirx » 1 person likes this post

Yes, but if you buy a new server (eg Apollo) it's most of time still in the default BOM. And it might even be a virtual CDROM from ILO.

I just checked how a virtual DVD looks.

[0:0:0:0]    disk    Generic- SD/MMC CRW       1.00  /dev/sda
[6:0:0:0]    cd/dvd  iLO      Virtual DVD-ROM        /dev/sr0
Seems that the hardware drive identifies itself als "disk" where the virtual drive is "cd/dvd".
pirx
Veteran

Post by pirx »

And I've to add that /dev/sda is an embedded card reader, which is probably not that rare in servers.