Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
taston
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Tony Aston

Linux Proxy Server - Direct SAN (iscsi) configuration issue

Post by taston »

Hi,
Testing in a lab, running VBR v11, backing up vSphere 6.x & 7.x VMs (Nimble vSAN 10gbE iSCSI connected), we are trying to setup an Ubuntu 20.04 LTS VM as a Veeam Proxy server and want it to use Direct SAN where possible. We already have Windows based Proxies handling this without issue.
We have built an Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS VM and have it with 2x vNICs (Prod and iSCSI IP addresses - iSCSI has no gateway assigned). We have installed open-iscsi, edited the IQN of the VM to a more friendly name and added that to the same SAN ACL for the volumes as the Windows Proxy VM. We can connect to the Volumes and see them (iscsiadm -m discovery -t sendtargets -p x.x.x.x ; iscsiadm -m node -o show |grep x.x. ; iscsiadm -m node -l ; fdisk -l ; lsblk -e7). As far as I can tell (I know next to nothing about Linux), the Volumes are connected in the same way as they would be using a Windows iSCSI Initiator. /etc/iscsi/iscsid.conf is set to 'node.startup = automatic' and 'node.leading_login = No' is configured, and the Ubuntu VM has been rebooted.

Having added the Ubuntu VM as a Veeam Proxy Server (transport mode set to Auto) - and forcing the backup job to only use that Proxy server, backups only occur using NBD or HotAdd. If I force the Proxy to Direct SAN only, all VM backups fail.

I must have missed a step somewhere along the line, and I don't have any Linux skills to locate it. Any ideas please?

Thanks in advance
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Linux Proxy Server - Direct SAN (iscsi) configuration issue

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Hi Tony,

can you please check this guide: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110
taston
Novice

Post by taston »

Hi Andreas, thanks for the reply.
As far as I can tell, I have adhered to the proxy requirements (SSH is enabled, disk.EnableUUID=TRUE already added, we don't use NFS, Open-iSCSI intiator is enabled and VMFS volumes are discovered and logged into successfully. The Ubuntu Proxy also works fine using the NBD and HotAdd transport modes. It just won't use Direct SAN. I pretty much followed this document (https://ubuntu.com/server/docs/service-iscsi), but obviously didn't format or partition the SAN Volumes, and haven't configured Multipathing (the Ubuntu Proxy is a VM). The Ubuntu VM's iSCSI IQN has been added to the same SAN IQN group (managing SAN Volume access) as the Windows Proxy servers - and they use Direct SAN without issue.

With Windows based Proxies, you enable the iSCSI initiator, discover the targets, and then connect to each target. What I believe I have completed on the Ubuntu proxy is I have enabled Open-iSCSI, discovered the targets, and logged in to each of them. I can only assume I am missing a step on the Ubuntu side?
Cheers
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

I think then someone has to look into the logfiles. Can you please open a support ticket and check with our support?
taston
Novice

Post by taston »

Thanks Andreas. #05014914 is logged, and I'll feedback here any useful info.
Mehnock
Influencer
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Christopher Navarro

Post by Mehnock »

Hi Taston,

Did you get this resolved? What was the problem?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

The virtual and backup infrastructure reboot followed by forcing the Direct SAN proxy mode has solved the issue for the OP.

I'd recommend you opening open your own ticket and letting support team conduct the investigation.

Thanks!