Ok, interesting journey to my solution. Hopefully this helps anyone who experiences something similar.
So I searched through all the help docs and tried everything. I submitted a ticket with Veeam and VMware and ran through the suggestions both offered.
Snapshot's worked, after returning the VM's to their original host which was holding the lock (as determined by the MAC address) I was able to download the VMX file locally, but VEEAM still kept erroring out.
I even restarted the host, and then created a generic VM removed the data stores from the old and attached it to the new. Then I made sure to remove the old VM from inventory. The VM ran great, but Veeam still failed due to locked VMDK/VMX.
There was a great tech support specialist, Antony, on Veeam Phone Support that saved the day. He realized the version of Veeam was outdated and a patch to v8 fixed the issue. What is frustrating is I downloaded the latest version of Veeam from the website maybe 2 months ago, so I'm not sure why I would have an ancient version of the software. Literally first release of the software, old. Luckily I got an update patch which brought my version up to speed and then allowed all backups to process normally.
So if your having this same type of lock problem, check your Veeam version first! This is a known error on the early v8 releases. My current version of Backup & Replication v8 is 220.127.116.114.
Here is the update patch link, http://www.veeam.com/kb2068
Thanks everyone for all your help!