Discussions specific to the VMware vSphere hypervisor
resruss
Service Provider
Liked: 6 times

Making Veeam use a specific NIC only

Post by resruss » Mar 12, 2013 1:55 pm

Hi everyone,

I added a Routing and Remote Access role to our Veeam B&R and Proxy server today.
Backups were running at 500KB/s to local storage and I couldn't work out why.
I stopped the RRAS service and the backup jobs stopped, mentioned something about network issues.
I then rebooted and chose to use an alternative backup proxy, backups are running at 50MB/s again.

Ideally, I want to keep RRAS on the Veeam server, but once a user connects, a new virtual interface is created and Veeam seems to pick that up to use.

Just wondering if there's a PowerShell command or registry key I can add or adjust to force it to bind only to a particular NIC so I can enable RRAS again.

Thanks.

Vitaliy S.
Product Manager
Liked: 1611 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Making Veeam use a specific NIC only

Post by Vitaliy S. » Mar 12, 2013 4:46 pm

Hello,

There is no such PowerShell cmdlet, since Veeam B&R relies on Windows routing layer. If you want to force using specific NIC, try adding your repository via IP address of this NIC.

Thanks!

resruss
Service Provider
Liked: 6 times

Post by resruss » Mar 13, 2013 8:02 am

Thanks Vitality.

I should have mentioned, everything's on the same subnet, it's once the RAS PPP Adapter is added that there's a problem, and this is added dynamically once a user connects to the VPN.
It won't show up in a list of NICs in Control Panel, but will show up in ipconfig:

Windows IP Configuration

PPP adapter RAS (Dial In) Interface:

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.96
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.90
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

My workaround at this point is to have the B&R server leverage another backup proxy to do all the grunt work, I was just hoping to bind to a specific NIC or set an IP address for the Veeam services.

Is this worth opening a support case? Or am I out of luck?

Vitaliy S.
Product Manager
Liked: 1611 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. » Mar 13, 2013 9:04 am

Not sure our support team can assist you with this, since it's more like a Windows-related routing problem.

However, if I got you right Veeam services are picking up this IP address 192.168.1.96 instead of 192.168.1.90 and this makes your job crawl, right? Please take a look at the existing topic that explains how to use "Run server on this side" option, that might help you: Multiple NIC's on Veeam server [Not Load Balancing]