Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
peste
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Stefan Petershofer

Mounted disks decided to stay...

Post by peste »

Hello,

i was starting a project (transfering all VMs from one host to a new one) and before this i wanted to replicate once more. But this time it doesn´t worked that well like the last weeks. The backup machine (64-Bit Windows 7 virtual) started just like all other times, but when it comes to backup itself (3rd of 4 VMs) i recognized veeam tells me "Calculatig digests Hard Disk 2" - Stop! This Machine only has one disk, Disk2 was from a hot added VM (1 of 4) which stayed mounted... I stopped this job and removed the discs manually. I hope this was ok. Why does this happen ? Now i think about to move the machines without one last replicate/backup but i would be more excited if i could do one more...

Any Idea ? The "still added" VM had a lot of snapshots (6) which were all from the same time. It´s now consolidating.

Thanks
Stefan
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Mounted disks decided to stay...

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Stefan,

Could you please tell me what version of Veeam B&R/vSphere you are using? And please include your Veeam support case ID with any technical issue you report on forums.

Thanks!
peste
Enthusiast

Post by peste »

Hello Vitaly,

i have no Cased ID ? Version is B&R 6.1.0.181 and vSphere is ESXi 5.0.0 Build 469512 (the one before the UPS Shutdown Problems...). Maybe it was an still added disk from a failed Replicate before - i just thought a bit about it and this could be possible - incase of an still existing Snapshot (no Restore Point) in the other Replicate (i replicate this 1st machine on two storages). This task before failed (i stopped it cause it was much too slow).

Should i get an case id ? But it´s a completely new system and the license is still on the way running a trial....but i can wait until the license arrives. I´m working in an IT-Service and we have a lot of clients out there with veeam B&R - so i could open this case on a license of them for the meanwhile ? :)

But one thing: Was it ok to delete in manually from the backup machine (not from store) and cosolidating the server which disks were added ? Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

peste wrote:(the one before the UPS Shutdown Problems...). Maybe it was an still added disk from a failed Replicate before -
I'm pretty sure that the failed replication job was the reason why you had these disk leftovers on the proxy server machine. Under normal conditions virtual disks should always be dismounted from your backup proxy server.

If you want to investigate this issue further please contact our support team, as any customer who is on the official trial period is eligible for support.
peste wrote:But one thing: Was it ok to delete in manually from the backup machine (not from store) and cosolidating the server which disks were added ?
Actually, this is exactly what you needed to do to fix this issue - remove hot added disks from the backup proxy VM configuration, and then consolidate existing snapshots (if any) on the VM which these virtual disks belonged to.
peste
Enthusiast

Post by peste »

Hi Vitaly,

it now works like a charm again (until i change the host in a few hours :-)). I think it also was the bad replication job before, i should check the machine after such a job and not fire any other replication or backup job in the blind...
But i had to delete the whole replicate machine, cause it says it had an "invalid snapshot configuration" - maybe whilst i deleted one of it (not an restore point - an orphaned working snapshot).
Thanks!
Stefan
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Good to know that everything is working for you now, thanks for the update.

As to "invalid snapshot configuration" error... did you see it on the source VM? Keep in mind that the easiest way to consolidate snapshots on the source VM is to create a new snapshot via vSphere Client and then choose the "Consolidate" option. This will prevent you from messing up the VM snapshot configuration.
peste
Enthusiast

Post by peste »

Ok, thanks. But i soon migrate all machines to a new host, so this wasn´t harming me. And i think i make the bacup & replication whole new and leave the old replics & backups as a an archived backup for a while. Thanks!