Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
kjstech
Expert
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Keith S

moving vm to another datastore.

Post by kjstech »

I had a few vm backups fail this weekend with the error "Task failed Error: Object <vmname> not found."

After looking into it, I noticed that they were all VM's that were storage vmotioned to a new array (EMC VNX5200) that we will slowly be transitioning to.

So I was wondering, I thought that Veeam just queried vcenter for the vm's name, and got the location of it? Well its no big deal, I created a new job with the new filesystem name and I put the VM's in it and removed them from the old jobs.

I have a backup job for each file system anyway so to keep it organized I should keep the vms in that file system in the job named after that filesystem.

Was just curious though as if Veeam would just query vcenter for the information or if it was hard coded in Veeams DB once the job was built, so that if that machine moved, Veeam wouldn't know about it.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: moving vm to another datastore.

Post by veremin »

Hi, Keith, how VMs are added to the backup job? Via vCenter or via standalone ESX(i) host? Thanks.
kjstech
Expert
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Keith S

Post by kjstech »

When I define a job, I am thinking that I might of clicked the top far right icon for datastore views. This shows all data stores under the vcenter > Datacenter name heigharchy.

I guess if I specify a data store and expand it, right then during this selection it queries and sees the VMs running on it. If that is the case, than that makes sense that when machines are storage vmotioned elsewhere, this wouldnt be updated.

I presume if I pick a VM out of the Hosts & Clusters view > resource pools, then maybe it would follow if storage vmotioned?

I have multiple backup jobs and really our organization is that a backup job has the same name and contains the machines as the datastore, so I bet I browsed by datastore since thats the easiest way to make that selection.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

kjstech wrote:When I define a job, I am thinking that I might of clicked the top far right icon for datastore views. This shows all data stores under the vcenter > Datacenter name heigharchy.
If you add VMs via vCenter (and seems, based on the quote above, you do), then your jobs are vMotion-aware and should continue to be backed up normally after being migrated. So I suggest contacting support for a closer look at your setup. Thanks.