Moving VMs to a new virtual center.

VMware specific discussions

Re: Moving VMs to a new virtual center.

Veeam Logoby readie » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:03 pm

Thanks - have done that and already got a response from Support. Will keep you posted tomorrow.
Bob Eadie
Computer Manager at Bedford School, UK (since 1999).
Veeam user since 2009.
readie
Expert

Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Bob Eadie

Veeam Logoby readie » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:34 pm

Great - got it back working, though taking a very long time 'Discovering replica VM' and then 'Calculating digests for HDs'. At least it won't then be copying the full replica. Thanks to support for prompt help (as always).
Bob Eadie
Veeam user since 2009.
readie
Expert

Veeam Logoby masonit » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:21 pm

Hi

When will this feature be integrated in the product? Use case is more than moving from one vcenter to another.
Example: If you have issues with one VM that you troubleshoot. Meanwhile you start a restore of the VM to a "new" VM as plan B. You are not able to fix original VM and you need to start using restored VM. Instead of backup entire "new" VM and store unneccesary backup data. You should be able to edit backup job for orignal VM. Right click on VM and say, you are now this VM.. (and with powershell.. :) ) I know this can be done in db but I would prefer a more integrated way. This has huge impact on storage utilization. Especially when backup retention is years..

\Masonit
masonit
Service Provider

Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Magnus Andersson

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:13 pm

masonit wrote:When will this feature be integrated in the product?

Hi. Probably not sooner than this operation somehow becomes a necessity for every Veeam user to perform at least once a month, thus impacting our support load. But since this one is "once in a blue moon" type of need, our existing support tool will do the job just fine for now - while allowing us to focus on building features which will be useful to our users on the daily basis. It's all about priorities and value to the product!

By the way, I also have another idea on how we could potentially solves this issue. Still need to verify if it is plausible, but I'd much rather implement this than keep enhancing manual mapping. I just don't like the word "manual", because it is a very bad word in environments beyond a few dozens of VMs.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2349 times

Veeam Logoby masonit » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:38 am

For sure we have different perspective. I can just say what I want as a costumer.. :)

As you say this is not a daily task but the impact is big when we are talking about 4 TB VMs. Just be able to do it manual or with ps would be a good start.

\Masonit
masonit
Service Provider

Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Magnus Andersson

Veeam Logoby greb » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:55 pm

Hi,

Yesterday your support helped me to migrate my vm id with the script ... but its a pity to have to modify/edit all our jobs again .... :(
greb
Lurker

Liked: never

[MERGED] Migration from vcenter 5.1 to 6.0

Veeam Logoby flesz » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:08 am

I am planning to move the hosts from vcenter 5.1 to 6.0 over the weekend.
I tried upgrading the vcenter, but there is a problem with the certificate and vmware support advised it is better to provision new vcenter 6.0 and add hosts to it.
Thinking about it now, I realised that after the migration there might be a problem with Veeam backups (we use Veeam 8.0).

How do I go about deleting old vcenter and reading new one, keeping the backup jobs in place?
Will VM IDs change ? That would be a big problem as currently there is not much space left on the backup server and we keep 1 full and a month of incrementals.
flesz
Influencer

Full Name: Patrick

Veeam Logoby foggy » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:38 am

Yes, VM ID's will change and you would need assistance from Veeam support in matching them in the database.

If the certificate problem is the same as discussed in this thread, you can try a workaround described there.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1080 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby flesz » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:59 am

thanks foggy. I will create a support ticket to have the IDs fixed after the migration. It was mentioned before, that the existing jobs would have to be modified, what's involved?
flesz
Influencer

Full Name: Patrick

Veeam Logoby foggy » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:05 am

You would need to re-add VMs into the existing jobs, after they get their new ID's. Support will provide you the necessary instructions.
foggy
Veeam Software

[MERGED] The Name Already Exists error after removing and re

Veeam Logoby hasayeret » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:33 pm

Hi guys,

I had to remove my host from it's original vCenter and move it on order to run updates on the host.
Then after I re-added it back to the original vCenter I get the message above when I run my replication job.
I don't want to delete everything and re-do everything and I do not see any option in my job.
Running Veeam B&R 9.0

Thanks!!!
hasayeret
Novice

Full Name: Rotem Ben Shitrit

Veeam Logoby foggy » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:28 pm

Rotem, you need to re-map your replication jobs to existing replica VMs.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:44 am

Please be aware that if your source VM IDs have changed (due to host re-registration), then after replica mapping all existing restore points will be discarded.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1102 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby readie » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:54 am

We are just at the same point as Flesz above. Have created a new VCentre V6 and am about to migrate our hosts etc (planning to use the Fling which generates PowerCLI scripts to recreate all the folders and users/roles etc.).
I have tried to work through this long thread, and can't quite work out exactly what the results are.
1. I contact support before I migrate, to ask for any useful scripts and guidance.
Can anyone now please outline the effects for our backup, backup copy, and replication jobs.
Which if any will start a new full backup (as I have to plan on the time that takes, and the space required).
What restore points will I lose (don't mind losing most of them, but we have two backup copy jobs where we have 3 restore points stored every quarter, which I should like to keep if possible, and 3 restore points stored every fortnight, which I could just bear to lose).
Thanks for any guidance before I take the plunge.
Bob Eadie
Veeam user since 2009.
readie
Expert

Veeam Logoby foggy » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:04 pm

Bob, looking at the top of this page, it seemed that you've already managed to get around this with the help of support. Anyway, unless you do ID matching, any VMs with changed IDs will require full backup/replication. And you will not lose any restore points, new restore points for the VMs with new IDs will be created.
foggy
Veeam Software

PreviousNext

Return to VMware vSphere