Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
edoardogil
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Edoardo Gillone

Multiple networks best practices info

Post by edoardogil »

This is the scenario

192.68.0.x Is the Bakup network
10.0.x.x Are the Production networks

VeeamB&R 192.168.1.1/24
VeeamProxy 192.168.1.2/24
Vcenter 192.168.1.3/24

MssqlServer is Vm 10.0.1.1/24

Backup without application-aware guest processing it's ok, but as soon as i enable guest processing it fails.
I have added 192.168.1.x Ip tu the vm, and everithing it's ok.

The problem is that i have about 110 Mssql Vms, i do not want to add a backup netork ip to each Vm. And i do not waant traffic through router between two networks.
Can i add an ip of each production network to one Veeam Proxy ? Will veem find automatically the road to backup or I have to teach it?
What is the best practice?
Thnx.
tyler.jurgens
Veeam Legend
Liked: 128 times
Full Name: Tyler Jurgens

Re: Multiple networks best practices info

Post by tyler.jurgens »

Add a backup proxy in the production network. Multi-homme the backup proxy or ensure firewall rules, etc, exist so the backup network can talk with that proxy and vice versa.
Tyler Jurgens
Veeam Legend x2 | vExpert ** | VMCE | VCP 2020 | Tanzu Vanguard | VUG Canada Leader | VMUG Calgary Leader
Blog: https://explosive.cloud
Twitter: @Tyler_Jurgens BlueSky: @tylerjurgens.bsky.social
DanielJ
Service Provider
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Daniel Johansson

Post by DanielJ » 1 person likes this post

And keep in mind that the guest interaction proxy cannot be used for restores (a long standing feature request), so if you want to restore anything into the vms you will have to rely on VIX (which is incredibly slow), make it possible for VBR to find the vm networks (which you didn't want), or have to export the restored data and bounce it manually through whatever jumpboxes etc. are available in your environment.
miklashenne
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Miklas Henne

Post by miklashenne »

I solved this with a second NIC on the MSSQL VM and the VBR server. The second NIC is a Layer-2 network, secured as a private VLAN via VMware vDS.

That was the only option for me, or just the firewall rules. But then the backup traffic goes through the firewall.