Discussions specific to the VMware vSphere hypervisor
sandsturm
Expert
Liked: 11 times

Netapp Snapshot deletion does not work as expected

Post by sandsturm » Sep 05, 2019 2:11 pm

Hi
All our Veeam backup jobs have configured Netapp Snapshots as Secondary targets with a retention of three. The primary storage integration settings are set to "Limit processed VM count per storage snapshot to 10". The meaning with the retention of three is to have three days of Snapshots because the backupjob runs once a day. The problem is, that for all jobs with more then 10 VMs, more then one storage snapshot will be created and I lose the retention of the three "days". Example, a Backupjob with 34 VMs creates a Netapp snapshot for every ten VMs and therefore I have three Netapp snapshots after the job was running, this means that I have a retention of maximum one day and not three days. If I disable the "Limit processed VM count per storage snapshot to 10" only one Netapp snapshot is created with the run of the backupjob and I have my three days retention.
My question is now: Is this the expected behavior? Because the setting: "Limit processed VM count per storage snapshot" is meant for the primary storage integration and in my opinion only as a helper for the backupjob itself (to shorten the time where the VMware snapshot is required) and not really for the "secondary target" or am I wrong?

thx,
sandsturm

foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 1561 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Netapp Snapshot deletion does not work as expected

Post by foggy » Sep 05, 2019 3:06 pm

Yes, this is currently the expected behavior. Well, maybe not so expected by customers but at least this is how it should work according to the implemented logic. Given the limit of 10 VMs on a snapshot, the job prepares VMs in groups of 10 (4 in the last one) and creates 4 snapshots, from which one goes away according to your configured retention of 3 snapshots. This logic is based just on the number of snapshots and should be improved to account for the fact that each snapshot contains a valid state for the group of VMs only, so all 4 snapshots should be taken as a single restore point. We will consider this improvement for the future versions, thanks!

sandsturm
Expert
Liked: 11 times

Post by sandsturm » Sep 06, 2019 6:40 am

Okay, thanks for the clarification. Would be nice if you could improve this with a feature request to not only hold an amount of snapshots but a retention for days. Similar to the new option of restore points or days in the retention policy settings of a VM job in the upcoming VBR10, which is a among others, a really cool new feature by the way ;-)

foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 1561 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » Sep 06, 2019 11:19 am

Yes, spreading this option to storage snapshots is on our list of future improvements.