Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
tom11011
Expert
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Tom

New to replication

Post by tom11011 »

Hi Group,

I have just setup my first replication from site A to site B (vsphere 5 + veeam 6). I did a test replication last night and the job completed as expected. I have a few questions though. But first, I wanted to point out that I did try and read some docs before posting. http://www.veeam.com/KB1522

First question:

After the replication, can I power on the replicated vm at site B to test and make sure it works? Will that upset any future replications? Will the next replication just overwrite it as needed? Will a replication job just fail if it detects the destination vm is powered on?

Second question:

If I want to change to the target datastore in the job for site B, what will happen? Will veeam automatically move the replicate vm to the new datastore? Must I move it? Will a second copy be created forcing me to have to clean up the old data store?

Thanks in advance.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: New to replication

Post by Gostev »

Hi,

1. Please read the sticky FAQ topic.

2. I believe, the wizard will simply not allow you to make this change. What you can definitely do though, is move your replicas manually, and create new job while mapping into the existing replicas. This will allow you to avoid full sync over WAN.

Thanks!
tom11011
Expert

Post by tom11011 »

Thanks, I'll check it out.

When you say move the replicas manually, I presume I can just just storage vmotion the replica in vmware? Then I must create a new job?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2722 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

1. Yes, you can either use storage vmotion, or just copy VM files manually using file management functionality built into the Veeam B&R.
2. Yes, you need to create a new job.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Does not have to be Storage VMotion, btw. Since replica VMs are powered off, you can migrate them with vSphere Client even if you do not have Storage vMotion licensed.
tom11011
Expert

Post by tom11011 »

ok, so basically, I migrate the virtual machines to whatever data store I want, create the new replication job, and veeam will just figure it all out without having to reseed anything? if so, sounds like a win.

Tom
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Veeam is win!
homerjnick
Expert
Liked: 35 times
Full Name: Nick Mahlitz

Post by homerjnick »

tom11011 wrote:ok, so basically, I migrate the virtual machines to whatever data store I want, create the new replication job, and veeam will just figure it all out without having to reseed anything? if so, sounds like a win.

Tom
Not quite, as previously mentioned you need to use "replica mapping" to map the job to an existing replica, the replica you just moved.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Also note that if the replica you are mapping into were created with v6, it is enough to simply click the Detect button in the replica mapping section, and the wizard will find them and auto-populate the mapping rules for you.