Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Tutek
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Wojciech

Newbie installation question about folders

Post by Tutek »

Hi,
two questions:
1.I have installed Veeam B&R on Esxi, now at quest system level I have connected my two QNAPs using IsCSI and formatted these two drives as ReFS (with 64K block size) assigned drive letters and drives are visible in system - is this OK procedure? Becuse I'm afraid that these two drives are accessible inside system if any malware step into this system I will be in troubles, right?
2.during installation, installer set folders like this:
Write cache folder: V:\Program Data\Veeam\Backup\IRCache
Guest catalog folder: V:\VBRCatalog
but V: drive is my QNAP Refs Backup repository, is this OK, to leave this config and put these folders on backup drive, or maybe is better oto reconfigure it to C:\
or maybe create additional disk in Esxi and mount in to VBR?

thanks
Binjitsu
Lurker
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Nathan Bridges

Re: Newbie installation question about folders

Post by Binjitsu » 1 person likes this post

Good morning Tutek!

I assume you are using the two volumes on the VBR server as backup repositories. Is this correct? If so, you need to mound the volumes to the VBR server or to another server functioning as your backup repository.

Yes, there is a risk of malware compromising your VBR server and its associated backup repositories. You do have options with Veeam regarding immutable storage that you may want to consider.

I would recommend you take a look at the security section of the best practice guide: https://bp.veeam.com/vbr/VBP/2_Design_S ... _Security/, particularly, the section regarding hardening a Windows backup repository: https://bp.veeam.com/vbr/VBP/Security/h ... ndows.html

Yes, it is okay to leave those folders on your backup repository drives.

The Write Cache folder is used for Instant VM recovery and will contain changed VM data. When you perform an Instant VM recovery you have the option to point to an existing datastore and bypass the Write Cache folder, so you may not end up using this folder depending on your restore process.

The Guest Catalog folder contains index data if you are doing guest OS file indexing as part of your backup job(s). I would leave this on the V: drive. And again, you may not end up using this folder depending on how your backup jobs are configured.
Tutek
Enthusiast

Post by Tutek »

How could I configure backup job to create backup in three places, on two connected local disk, and in one cloud provider. I see only one option with secondary place where to store backup (so in total two destinations repository) during creating a backup job, so how could I do this?
soncscy
Veteran
Liked: 312 times
Full Name: Harvey

Post by soncscy »

Hi Wojciech,

Veeam's way of doing this is via Backup Copies. Don't think of them as rsync, but instead as "backups of backups". Data blocks necessary to make the most recent restore point are copied and built into a new backup chain at the target site.

You can do multiple backup copies from the same source job (just be aware they might queue one after the other).

So just make a primary backup job, backup copy it to your second disk, then to your Cloud Provider.

Only the Backup Job will need a snapshot on production, the rest will work with the existing backup files and the workload is entirely on the repository.
Tutek
Enthusiast

Post by Tutek »

so during backup job creation I should not tick option "Configure secondary destination for this job" instead of that I should configure two backup copy jobs for my next two backup repositories local one and cloud?
soncscy
Veteran

Post by soncscy »

Both places work) It doesn't matter as far as I know.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Correct, when you specify the secondary destination, you should specify the backup copy job so it should be configured. And you can specify two of them there for a single source backup job.
Tutek
Enthusiast

Post by Tutek »

I have more questions:
1.I have small environment 2 Hyper-V hosts, 2 Vsphere hosts, and 2 physical servers, so in total 15VM and 2 Physical - in such environment do I need to build a proxy?
2.My cloud partner require that backups send to them should be encrypted, so in backup job I set encryption, but I see that on backup copy job which is sending to cloud is also option to encrypt, so should I "tick" this option in two places?
soncscy
Veteran

Post by soncscy »

Hi Wojciech,

1. For the HyperV environment, the hosts themselves act as the proxy, so you probably just need to focus on your VMware hosts. The Veeam Server itself will act as your proxy by default for VMware, but review the system requirements from the User Guide and check the number of concurrent tasks (disks) you try to process. If you're getting acceptable backup speeds during your backup windows and your restores are fine, then leave it be :) But v11 has huge advancements with Linux Proxies, so it also probably doesn't hurt to spin up an extra proxy or two "just in case" and to help speed the process along.

2. See the information on Backup Copy Job Encryption here. Tick it in both locations; as above, a Backup Copy is __not__ a simple file copy, it's a new backup that uses data blocks from the source backup. The diagrams should explain how it works, and you don't end up with 'double encryption', so it's fine.
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110