Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
SmokinJoe
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Joe G

Old repo with 30 restore points

Post by SmokinJoe »

Hi All,

I have a new SAN that I am backing up to and still have the old SAN online. I would like to decrement my old repo by 1 restore point per day while the new repo continues to grow.

Do I have to manually delete old files or is there an automated way to do this for old restore points. I have the jobs disabled and because I run CBT on VMware I do not want to run double jobs to get the disk to auto reduce.

Is there something I am missing?

Thanks,
Joe
chris.childerhose
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 132 times
Full Name: Chris Childerhose

Re: Old repo with 30 restore points

Post by chris.childerhose »

Since the old jobs are disabled then you would need to manually delete restore points but I would suggest waiting until the entire retention is over and deleting them all in one go. Since the VBM file needs updating for metadata when you delete VIB files, etc.
-----------------------
Chris Childerhose
Veeam Vanguard / Veeam Legend / Veeam Ceritified Architect / VMCE
vExpert / VCAP-DCA / VCP8 / MCITP
Personal blog: https://just-virtualization.tech
Twitter: @cchilderhose
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Old repo with 30 restore points

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

Alternatively you can exclude all VMs from processing and run job daily - this way each day the job will create one new dummy restore point and remove one obsolete restore point (assuming job uses forward forever incremental mode). However, the option mentioned by Chris seems much, so if I were you, I would also wait until the whole chains becomes outdated and remove it completely. Thanks!