Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
mcdaniels
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

One Backupjob / Replicationjob for all VMs or separate Backupjobs

Post by mcdaniels »

Hi folks,
just one (simple) question. Is it better to use one Backupjob/Replicationjob and backup/replicate multiple VMs in that job, or should I go for 1VM / Job?

Thanks a lot!
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: One Backupjob / Replicationjob for all VMs or separate Backupjobs

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hey McDaniels,

Unfortunately, this is a question where the correct answer simply does not exist. There are many answers that can be given, and each of them will be correct given a certain scenario.

when designing your jobs, you will need to think about various items:
* Do you want Veeam deduplication to save some storage?
* What backup methods will you use? Depending on that, can your storage handle the IO needed for the chosen method
* Can your production infrastructure handle the snapshots of everything during a certain timeframe or do you need to split it out during the day

I would advise you to go to here: https://bp.veeam.expert/job_configuration and read this part. That will give you more insight in the job configuration and hopefully will make it easier for you to make a choice. If I would be a guessing man, I think you will end up with a couple of jobs, each with a couple of VMs inside based on a certain selection criteria ;-)

Mike
mcdaniels
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

Post by mcdaniels »

Hey Mike,

thank you for your reply. Our environment is very "simple" tailored. We just have 2 Esxi-Hosts, with 11 VMs (overall).

At the moment I backup these VMs -> 1 VM/h (starting at 3PM) 1x per day and have got separate backupjobs for each VM. 3PM is the time, when the workloads @the ESXI-Servers drop.

It is working quite ok, there are no overlapping backupjobs. I just thought I can push network-transferspeed, when backing up multiple VMS (using networkmode).

Thank you for the link!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

The environment of your size doesn't put any limitations on the job configuration - I guess you have enough processing resources and plenty of time to perform your backup activity even without parallel processing. But just for ease of management, I'd go with a single job containing all the VMs.