Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
matteu
Veeam Legend
Liked: 118 times

Oracle backup

Post by matteu »

Hello,

First time I have to manage backup with Oracle server.

I see there are 3 solutions in the Veeam documentation :
-Agent
-Backup job
-Oracle plugin

Both first are if I want IT to manage backup and last one if I want DBA manage it.

I would like to have some feedback about all these method.

Today my customer only perform dump on his server and then backup the VM (including this dump).

I'm thinking about using Backup job and enable backup log each X min but for this I see DB need to be with archivelog.
Does this mean I need Oracle plugin to be sure I can "regulary" backup my DB ?

I know how it works with SQL but don't know anything about oracle.

Thanks for your help.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Oracle backup

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

You don't need to back up logs if ARCHIVELOG mode is turned off (btw it's not recommended as it does not provide proper disaster recovery). If the database works in ARCHIVELOG mode, it definitely makes sense to enable archived redo logs backup. At a very high level, it works in the same way as SQL does: you create consistent backups of the whole server with a specific schedule and you process archived logs every X minutes.

You need to use the plug-in only if the image-level backup does not fit your backup strategy: for example, you back up individual databases using RMAN scripts and have different scripts for every database, you want to process an individual tablespace or a data file, etc.

Thanks!
matteu
Veeam Legend

Post by matteu »

Hello,
Thanks for your answer.

If I understand correctly :

Does process transaction logs apply to Oracle DB ?

If ARCHIVELOG is "OFF" => I just need to backup the VM with VBR with AAIP enabled right ? (and I choose to perform copy only for log instead of truncate ? )
if ARCHIVELOG is "ON" => I need to choose process transaction log ? Then on Oracle Tab I have to choose Backup log every X min and Remove older logs based on Hours / Size.

OK, if there is custom backup needed on DB, I have to use the plugin !

Do I understand correctly ?
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

Yes, the "process transaction logs with this job" option also applies to Oracle.

If ARCHIVELOG is "OFF" => Copy-only processing applies to SQL only (this is how we create VSS snapshot which is not the case with Oracle), for Oracle processing it's to enough make sure that the first radio button is selected.
If ARCHIVELOG is "ON" => Yes, you choose process transaction log and define archived logs backup period and deletion policy.

If a "custom" backup is required, the plug-in is a way to go.

Thanks!
matteu
Veeam Legend

Post by matteu » 1 person likes this post

Thanks a lot for your feedback :)