Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
svyatoslav.vorona
Veeam Software
Liked: never
Full Name: Svyatoslav Vorona

OtherOS FLR Appliance failed to restore files if UUID change

Post by svyatoslav.vorona »

Hello,

I had a case 01971166 with following issue:

- During OtherOS restore customer experienced error 'Cannot find a mapping rule matching directory path [..]'
- Root cause was server re-install, because of it all block devices UUID had been changed
- Obviously as OtherOS FLR checking for block devices UUID and trying to find if it's mounted 'Restore' option failed, only 'Copy To' works.

This is the point the customer wants to let us know.

Feature request: If there is a way to make "Restore to original location" work even if the machine has been re-installed, that would be even better!
Because from user-perspective (user = machine owner), it's still the original location, in this case it is still /opt on svoarnarch02.
Otherwise, a more usable message, stating that the UUID's have been changed (perhaps re-map them?), would solve a big part of the problem...

If there is a way at least to warn customer what went wrong here (I mean more verbose error) so it will be good if we can consider it in next versions, because customer has a lot of questions at this point like:

- what's wrong with VMware?
- what's wrong with Veeam?

This is what customer asked me to do. Kindly please check this message. Thank you.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: OtherOS FLR Appliance failed to restore files if UUID ch

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Hi, this is a common Feature request. Same situation can happen when you use Instant VM recovery and want to restore files from old restore point afterwards.
This is already discussed with Product Management and they are aware of this situation and feature request.
Thank you for the feedback.
iafifi
Veeam Software
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Islam Afifi

Re: OtherOS FLR Appliance failed to restore files if UUID change

Post by iafifi »

Hi,

Is there any update on this topic? To make the "Restore to original location" work even if the machine has been re-installed.

I'm facing the same issue and had to use "Copy To" option.

Thank you.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Islam, this is actually addressed in v10 - in case it is not able to locate the original VM by its UUID, it will allow specifying the particular one from the infrastructure to perform the restore to.
iafifi
Veeam Software
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Islam Afifi

Post by iafifi »

Hi Alexander,

Many thanks!