Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
bhwong
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Boon Hong Wong

Overcoming Backup failure due to snapshot

Post by bhwong »

I notice that Veeam is not able to backup any VM successfully if snapshot does not occur successfully. Competitor backup will still get thru just that the VM will be processed without quiescing. This may influence the resulting recovery point reliability. But at least a backup is done. Is there a way to force Veeam to backup without quiescing too?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Overcoming Backup failure due to snapshot

Post by foggy »

If you are talking about application-aware image processing failures, then there is a setting in the backup job (Guest Processing step > Advanced) that makes the job ignore these errors (can be set for individual VMs) and failover to VMware Tools quiescence (if it is enabled - and otherwise, no quiescence is performed).
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Though, it still might be worth understanding why the particular VMs can't be successfully quiesced, since without proper quiescence you're left with crash consistent backups. So, could yo share what particular errors you see at the time when quiescence doesn't work?

Thanks.
bhwong
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Boon Hong Wong

Post by bhwong »

There is no useful errors received. It just doesn't work for some VMs (A terminal server and a SQL server). I have no idea why as well since we have many terminal servers and SQL servers that don't have this issue.

THanks Foggy! I will give this a try!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Feel free to ask support for assistance in making sense from "useless" errors you receive. ;)