Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
pkelly_sts
Veteran
Liked: 66 times
Full Name: Paul Kelly

Paused Backup copy RPs, restart behaviour

Post by pkelly_sts »

If you have a source backup job with daily incrementals, and a copy job also copying the daily changes, what behaviour is expected if the copy job is paused, say for a week, and then restarted?

Is it expected to copy each of the source job RPs into individual copy RPs, or does it consolidate them all into a single RP up to the most recent RP?

There's a slight difference in my real world scenario in that I took the repository contents of a copy job that had been running for a week (so had 6 RPs) but then disabled for a week (with the original source job continuing daily) and then created a new copy job & mapped it to the backup files containing the 6 RPs originally created by the other job.

I then started the "new" copy job expecting it to copy over the "missing" 7 RPs for each (per-vm) backup but it seems to have created a single RP (for each VM) with what seems to me like the total changes (judging by the size of the data in the latest execution of the job).

I admit that it's a slightly skewed scenario, but is this expected behaviour? Why does it not effectively re-create each days RP when they're all available? (source job is configured to keep 42 RPs).
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Paused Backup copy RPs, restart behaviour

Post by foggy »

During each copy interval, backup copy job creates a single restore point corresponding to the latest VM state available in the source repository. So the behavior you're observing is totally expected.
pkelly_sts
Veteran

Post by pkelly_sts »

Ahh, so the "Copy Interval" is entirely independent from the RPs of the source job? It'll copy all the data contained within them, but doesn't "re-create" them as a copy?

That's useful to know, I didn't realise it worked that way, thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Yes, it is entirely independent.
pkelly_sts
Veteran