Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
lowlander
Service Provider
Liked: 30 times

Peer persistence primera and snapshots

Post by lowlander »

Hi all,

we are designing a Veeam solution with a peer persistence functionality of HPE. Based on the Primera hardware we can synchronous replicate the a volume on the primary array with the target volume on the secondary primera array.

Can we use Veeam to schedule snapshots on the primary volume, and will these snapshots be replicated to the secondary array ?

thanks !
Regnor
VeeaMVP
Liked: 291 times
Full Name: Max

Re: Peer persistence primera and snapshots

Post by Regnor »

While I'm no 3PAR/Primera expert I wouldn't be sure if snapshots get replicated.
Normally you have volumes in Remote Copy Groups and those get replicated to the target storage array. If you create scheduled snapshots via Veeam, they will be seen as an additional volumes and therefore not be part of the Remote Copy Group.
What you can do, when you backup via storage snapshots, is creating the snapshot on the target/secondary array.

But to be sure I would check with your Storage partner.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Peer persistence primera and snapshots

Post by foggy »

In 3PAR sync replica, there are two options: either an independent snapshot is created on one side of the relationship, or coordinated snapshots are created on both sides. Veeam B&R uses the first option, so the other side knows nothing about this snapshot.