Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
JohnnyK
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Jonathan Kessel

Periodic Full Backup Job

Post by JohnnyK »

I have a client who has VB&R standard running against Vmware 5.1 and has production reverse incremental jobs running nightly - I want to create quarterly incremental backups so I created a job in VB&R for a specific VM that is scheduled to do an incremental backup once a month at 6am on the fourth Sat in Jan /May/Sept and set it to retain 6 copies. I noticed it's running every Sat versus only only the months I set, and on closer inspection in the STORAGE section in the backup wizard I see the box is checked for Synthetic Full set to run every Sat. When I try and disable/uncheck the synthetic Full it I get a an error that it's required. How do I stop that Sat backup from running and comply with my intended policy. I wanted to post here first before opening a full ticket with support.

The intention is to have a completely separate incremental backup from the regular daily jobs run 3 times a year and be retained for 24 months without being touched.

Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Re: Periodic Full Backup Job

Post by Gostev »

JohnnyK wrote:When I try and disable/uncheck the synthetic Full it I get a an error that it's required.
You can disable synthetic full if you enable Active full instead (lower on the same dialog). Unlike Synthetic full, Active full can be scheduled to happen only once a month.
JohnnyK
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Jonathan Kessel

Post by JohnnyK »

Thanks for the reply @Gostev ..So wouldn't that mean I would have 2 schedules for a single job - one in the Storage section and the other in the Schedules section?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6703 times

Post by Gostev »

No, there is a single schedule for the job. Storage sections only controls full backup behavior. In case the job schedule contradicts the full backup rules (for example, mistakenly restricts the job from starting on the day when full backup must take place), the full backup will start regardless, because it is essential.