Discussions specific to the VMware vSphere hypervisor
jeffbourassa
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Permanent Failover Grayed Out?

Post by jeffbourassa » Dec 03, 2016 4:38 pm

We are looking at using Replicas to migrate large VMs from one vcenter to another, like a datacenter migration but in the same network/server room.

We have setup replicas to the target location. We are planning to do a failover, then a permanent failover to complete the migration.

Is this a 2 step process? Currently the Permanent Failover is grayed out and not available, as per the docs on this.

Jeff

Gostev
SVP, Product Management
Liked: 3517 times

Re: Permanent Failover Grayed Out?

Post by Gostev » Dec 03, 2016 7:12 pm

Yes, it is a 2 step process. The idea is that you first perform the failover, and ensure that VMs are functioning correctly in the new data center. If yes, you execute Permanent Failover. If not, you still have an option to execute Undo Failover.

rob_nikson
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Robert Nikogosian

Post by rob_nikson » Sep 04, 2019 8:26 am

Hello,

I have same problem: after performing failover the Permanent Failover is grayed out. Why? I can use the Permanent failover, only when I put it to the failover plan...Is that normal?

foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 1558 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy » Sep 04, 2019 10:28 am

Hi Robert, are you sure that the failover stage is complete and the VM is ready for permanent failover? Feel free to contact our technical support to review your configuration for faster troubleshooting.

rob_nikson
Novice

Post by rob_nikson » Sep 04, 2019 11:52 am

Hello foggy,
I am not sure. I am working with Cloud Provider, and am replicating the VMs to the vCloud Director using IP Remapping. I have success for permanent failover if use "failoverplan", this is very strange.

veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 1429 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin » Sep 05, 2019 2:28 pm

What happens if you right-click on replica VM, will permanent failover be available there? And are you positive you have not performed permanent failover yet? Thanks!

rob_nikson
Novice

Post by rob_nikson » Sep 09, 2019 9:48 am

the replica is "runing" at the service provider vCloud. After 1st step - "failover" starts the replica on the vCD site: there is no option to right-click on the replica. So now I need permanent failover. I worke it out with "failover plan". After setting up a failover plan I am able to use the function "permanent failover". Not sure, this is the right way... But after doing this the replica will removed from veeam database and the job contains 0 objects.