Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
homerjnick
Expert
Liked: 35 times
Full Name: Nick Mahlitz

Permissions for Linux Helper Appliance on ESXi Host?

Post by homerjnick »

I have a VMware estate provided as Infrastructure-as-a-Service where I can have certain rights in the vCenter but no rights on the ESXi hosts.

We, however, are in full control of the backup of our estate via Veeam B&R. The vCenter provided by the Data Centre Provider points to our AD and members in a specific AD group then get the rights on the vCenter.

We have Linux VM's and to restore guest files using Veeam you need to deploy a Linux Helper Appliance via the GUI as you run the Restore Wizard. This Wizard asks you for a specific ESXi host rather than the Cluster and when I run through the Wizard I get:

"Failed to mount restore point. Linux FLR appliance deploy failed. Failed to connect to backup datastore to the ESX host "<myhost>". Failed to mount NFS volume Fault "NoPermissionFault". Permission to perform this operation was denied."

So obviously I need some rights here, more permissions but what do I ask the Data Centre Provider to modify?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Permissions for Linux Helper Appliance on ESXi Host?

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
did you already try to set the permissions stated for "File-level Restore (Other guest)" on the ESXi via vCenter?

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... l?ver=95u4

Best regards,
Hannes