Ports required for File-Level restore Windows and Linux OS

VMware specific discussions

Ports required for File-Level restore Windows and Linux OS

Veeam Logoby prabhash.jena » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:55 pm

Hi,

I need to know the exact ports required\used between Backup\Mount servers and target VM (customer subnet) for file-level restore.

We are a MSP. Our backup infrastructure servers (Management\Proxy\Repository etc.) are in an isolated IPv6 network. I know IPv6 is not used by Veeam (not sure why?).
Our backups are very snappy however guest file restores are very slow. Restore speed doesn't go over 500 KB\s. I believe it’s because backup\mount servers doesn't have access to the subnet to which file restore is being done. I would like to know the exact ports required\used between backup servers (Veeam Managed Servers) and target VM (customer subnet). Our Network admin is adamant (due to security threats) and doesn't want to open up whole network channel.

Also please share if you have any suggestions which I can implement to improve file restore.

Thanks in advance!!

Prabhash
prabhash.jena
Enthusiast

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Prabhash Kumar Jena

Re: Ports required for File-Level restore Windows and Linux

Veeam Logoby foggy » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:34 pm

Prabhash, please review the full list of ports required for Veeam B&R components.

That said, in case VM is not available on the network, FLR via VIX is performed, so in fact direct connection to it is not required. However, in case of restoring a lot of data, it might indeed be slower.

I'm not sure about your topology and Veeam B&R version you're using, however keep in mind that v9 introduces mount server component specifically to avoid data being transferred back and forth during FLR when backups are mounted on the backup server itself.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1081 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby prabhash.jena » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:24 am

Hi,

I had gone through that list. I would like to confirm for a normal file-level restore to a Windows server dos the mount server uses TCP port 2500 to 5000 only? or do I need any other ports to be open as well?

Thanks
Prabhash
prabhash.jena
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby foggy » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:34 pm

According to the corresponding section in the ports list, you need to open dynamic RPC port range (TCP 49152-65535) and also TCP/UDP 135, 137 to 139, 445 ports (which are currently not listed there, but should be added, since used to inject our components into guest OS).
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1081 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby prabhash.jena » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:23 am

Thank you for your time and inputs. Much appreciated :)
prabhash.jena
Enthusiast

Return to VMware vSphere