Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Zew
Veteran
Liked: 80 times
Full Name: Aemilianus Kehler

Prepare VM for Hot backup

Post by Zew »

Hey guys,

I find this a little strange a little un-nerving... I wanted to start making a Test enviro since I had to rebuild the one ESXi host that runs it. I generally so this by just doing regular VM recovery with Veeams awesome settings to restore VM with alternate config. Since i knew the incremental would have issues if I was running a restore operation on a particular VM while it would be attempted to be backed up while this restore task is running.

So I quickly decide to run the backup job manually instead of its scheduled time to get it out of the way. So I click the job click start. Leave for a sec to go do something. to my oddity I didn't see a vmware snapshot be made for the job I just started. finding this a bit odd I go to the Veeam B&R server and I see the job is still processing. I click on the VM on the left hand nav tree to get a little more details as to what its doing. Sure enough I see its at a point "Preparing VM for hot backup"... I figured I'd leave it for a bit. after 15 minutes I decided to say ok the job should have completed by now,never mind this one step and I immediately go to cancel the job. And its still just putting along trying to "prepare the VM for hot backup" without doing anything.

This is creeping me out since I've never seen this behavour before...what should I do, reboo tthe BR server? Restart the Veeam services?

My exchange job @ 6pm today (2 hours ago) ran perfectly fine.... wtf happened?
Zew
Veteran

Re: Prepare VM for Hot backup

Post by Zew »

K it finally stopped however instead of sayign canceled by: user...I go this...

23/08/2016 7:50:48 PM :: Processing Yanna Error: VSSControl: Failed to prepare guest for freeze, wait timeout 900 sec
Zew
Veteran

Re: Prepare VM for Hot backup

Post by Zew » 1 person likes this post

I think I know whats going on, This is my SQL server. Around 7pm everyday my Sharepoint FE server does a crawl. From looking at the performance charts of the SharePoint FE shows high CPU useage,indicating its still doing a crawl. This probably requires lots of backend queries to the DB server. This job normally runs later in the day when the crawl is finished. I'll wait for that to finish before I attempt to run the job again. I probably could have extended the timeout time to make it work but meh I get whats up.