Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
ashman70
Expert
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Both

Problem with backups and Exchange vss writer

Post by ashman70 »

I have a customer with an SBS 2011 standard VM running in ESXI 5.5 and for awhile now, sometimes after a Veeam backup job runs, the Exchange writer is left in a 'timed out' state. When the backup job runs, it will fail repeatedly with VSS errors, sometimes in the second or third retry it will succeed, often it does not and fails and the job does not run. Upon checked the VSS writers the following day we find the Exchange writer 'timed out'. The only thing we can do to resolve the problem is stop and restart the Exchange Information Store service, until the writer times out again and we have to repeat the fix. I am not suggesting Veeam is the problem here, however this server was running backups and replicas just fine for a long time until this problem began. I can't remember exactly if it was after upgrading to a build of 9.0 but I upgraded to the latest version of 9.5 to see if it would help and it has not. Just wondering if anyone has encountered this before. We are very familiar with the usual VSS problems with SBS 2011 and I have other customers who's SBS 2011 VM's are being backed up by Veeam without any problems.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Problem with backups and Exchange vss writer

Post by foggy »

Please contact technical support, logs investigation is required.