Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Locutus
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Frank

Problem with FLR: UpdateNetworkAdapter2Vm fails

Post by Locutus »

Hellos!

I'm assisting a colleague of mine with a lab test of Veeam B&R 6.1 (Patch 205) on VMWare ESXi 5.1.

On a workstation PC with VMWare Workstation, we installed VMWare ESXi 5.1 in a virtual machine. On that ESXi, we installed a nested virtual Ubuntu Linux and a Windows Server 2k3 R2 (32 bit). On the latter we installed Veeam B&R 6.1.205.

We configured a shared network drive on a NAS available in the lab's LAN via CIFS as backup repository. We performed a backup of the Linux VM, which worked all okay. Also a regular restore and instant recovery of VM works okay.

The problem occurs when we try a Multi-OS File Level Restore of the Linux VM. After the "vPower" NFS datastore is created on the ESXi and the FLR appliance is mounted, we receive an error box stating that "UpdateNetworkAdapter2Vm" failed, and the process aborts.

The relevant lines from the processing log read as follows:

Code: Select all

[20.09.2012 08:17:57] <06> Info     UpdateNetworkAdapter2Vm. VmRef: [13], Nic: [4000], PortGroup: [VM Network], ConnectAtPowerOn: [True].
[20.09.2012 08:17:57] <06> Info     Configuring FLR appliance networking Error: Failed: UpdateNetworkAdapter2Vm, cannot find virtual ethernet card with nic [4000]
It might be noteworthy that, when we perform "Instant Recovery" of the same backup, the NIC is given with number "4001" and not "4000".

Any help or insight is appreciated! :)
Kind regards,
Frank
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Re: Problem with FLR: UpdateNetworkAdapter2Vm fails

Post by Gostev »

B&R 6.1 does not support vSphere 5.1
Locutus
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Frank

Re: Problem with FLR: UpdateNetworkAdapter2Vm fails

Post by Locutus »

Thanks for the information!

We downgraded the test installation to ESXi 5.0, and I can confirm that the described problem does not occur there. FLR works perfectly now.
Kind regards,
Frank