Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
StanoSedliak
Service Provider
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Stano Sedliak

Problems with backup jobs where backup file encryption is enabled after upgrade to v12.1

Post by StanoSedliak »

Hi,

we have really huge problems with backup jobs where backup file encryption is enabled.
We did a new Veeam v12 installation end of 11/2023, for some jobs (for 50 jobs from 600) we enabled backup file encryption and we are doing forever incremental so no active or synt. full are scheduled. The backup repo was a basic Linux server with local disks.
On 5.12.2023 we did an upgrade to v12.1, after this we also added some linux repositories with hardened enabled to our Veeam.
We moved some backups to this hardened repo and enabled synt. full.

Now after 3 weeks, only backup jobs where encryption was enabled are doing 2 things:
1. if the backup job was going to a basic linux repo with forever incremental an active full backup job was triggered and now in Veeam we can see only this one last active full job, previous restore point disappeared from Veeam
2. if the backup job was going to a hardened repo, its stopped working with an error:
Background operation job failed Error: Cannot find parent backup for child

so 550 jobs are ok, only jobs where encryption is enabled are making problems, the backups created new folders on the repository with name_1.
I also opened a Case # 07052237

Did somebody saw some similar problems? Can it be a bug?

Thank you!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: Problems with backup jobs where backup file encryption is enabled after upgrade to v12.1

Post by Gostev »

Hi

There are no similar reports so I suspect this likely has to deal with how you performed the move. You did many major changes at once (this should always be avoided in IT whenever possible) so it's hard to guess which one was the culprit. Even with debug logs, Support will probably need some time to understand what happened.

What we can be certain about is 12.1 has some major updates to backup encryption logic specifically (they are documented in the What's New) and I don't know for example what happens if you perform backup management operations without letting the jobs run at least one after upgrade and process those encryption changes - it's hard to imagine such scenarios were tested.

Thanks
StanoSedliak
Service Provider
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Stano Sedliak

Re: Problems with backup jobs where backup file encryption is enabled after upgrade to v12.1

Post by StanoSedliak »

Hi Gostev,

thank you for your reply but to be honest we have also jobs where we didnt make any major changes, the only change is that we did an Veeam upgrade from v12->v12.1.
Because jobs were created on v12, we enabled encryption, did the upgrade and now after few days it was ok, they started to do problems now.

Its nice that the change was documented in whats new, but that they will do in reality problems is another topic.

As workaround I can now turn off encryption and create new jobs, this will cost us a lot of TB but I can live with it, the problem is that as old restore points disappear from Veeam we can not do restores, we have the backup files present on backup repo but they are not present in Veeam and if I will try to import them, I got an error that they are already existing in Veeam, so if support will not provide me a solution I need to install on another server VBR12.1 and use it only for importing existing backup and doing restores if customer need it.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev »

Yes, good idea to wait what Support finds out from the logs.