Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
MJlee
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Maojun Li

Question about Scale-out repository in Veeam 11

Post by MJlee »

Have some questions about the Scale-out repository(SOBR) in Veeam. We are using `Data Locality` policy on our SOBR, I want to know what's going to happen in the following scenarios.
1. One of the extents is going to be full. I understand that when the next full backup runs, if the extent has no enough space, it will chose different extent which has enough space. How about if the full is a synthetic full?
2. Cause we are using `Data Locality`, I understand the full and associated incrementals will be stored on the same extent. What happen when an incremental job runs but the extent where the full is on has no enough space? Will the job be just failed or it will automatically create a full in different extent?
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Question about Scale-out repository in Veeam 11

Post by Andreas Neufert »

1. it is the same for both
2. we estimate needed incremental space, if the extent with the chain do not have enough space, we just write the incremental to another extent. Likely the extent with most free space is chosen.
MJlee
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Maojun Li

Post by MJlee »

Thanks for the reply Andreas. Can I say as long as one or more extents have enough space, the backup job running on SOBR will never get stuck due to free space issue?
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Hi Maojun,

we do prediction based on the past processing and select extents accordingly. There could be an issue where the math is not correct, when you have for example a very high change rate in the night. Then the automatic retry (see scheduling tab in the wizard) should address it.