Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
habibalby
Veteran
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Hussain Al Sayed

Question about Veeam Connectivity for Best Performance

Post by habibalby »

Hello; Case ID [5196782]

Attached my network diagram of Veeam Backup Infrastructure. In the attached diagram,

Veeam Backup Enterprise connected with two pNICs, one for vSphere Management and one for production as this server joined to the domain.

Proxy Servers connected each with three vNICs, one beside vSphere Management Network and two beside the iSCSI Network.

Symantec / Veeam Repository server connected with two interfaces, one beside vSphere Management Network and one beside the iSCSI Network to access the Repository LUNs via iSCSI Initiator.

Proxies added to the Veeam Enterprise via the vSphere Management Network; to get best performance is it possible to add the proxy to the Veeam Enterprise via the iSCSI Interface? Provided Veeam Enterprise able to reach the iSCSI Network to be able to add the Proxy Servers.

Repository added to the Veeam Enterprise via the vSphere Management Network; to get best performance is it possible to add the Repository Server to the Veeam Enterprise via the iSCSI Interface? Provided Veeam Enterprise able to reach the iSCSI Network to be able to add the Repository Server.

Doing that assumes the backup performance would increase and all the backup communication goes via the iSCSI Network. Or the current setup and configuration is accurate?

Please advise.

Thanks,
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Re: Question about Veeam Connectivity for Best Performance

Post by dellock6 »

Hi Hussain,
first of all I should suppose the Enteprise Server is also the Veeam Backup server right?
So, communications between repository and and central server (if you are not using it also as proxy) is only for management purpose, so it does not need a dedicated or fast connection. The main connection is the one between proxies and the repository, so having two proxies in the iscsi network and a bonded connection of the repository, I would go for the iscsi network.
About registering the repository to Veeam Backup, it depends on the ip configured in the dns, or which IP you use if you register it directly via IP address.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
habibalby
Veteran
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Hussain Al Sayed

Re: Question about Veeam Connectivity for Best Performance

Post by habibalby »

dellock6 wrote:Hi Hussain,
first of all I should suppose the Enteprise Server is also the Veeam Backup server right?

Luca.
Yes, that's right.
dellock6 wrote:
So, communications between repository and and central server (if you are not using it also as proxy) is only for management purpose, so it does not need a dedicated or fast connection. The main connection is the one between proxies and the repository, so having two proxies in the iscsi network and a bonded connection of the repository, I would go for the iscsi network.
About registering the repository to Veeam Backup, it depends on the ip configured in the dns, or which IP you use if you register it directly via IP address.

Luca.

Aha, so additional connection needed on the Veeam Backup Server in order to communicate directly with the Repository Server and Proxies via the iSCSI Network. Regarding the DNS/IP will add the name of all the servers in the /etc host file along with fully qualified name and NetBIOS name.

Will update this post with the result after adding a new connection the Veeam Backup Server.

Thanks,
Hussain