Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
pbenson
Veeam Software
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Patrick Benson

Question Regarding Backup Jobs & Associated VM Restore Points

Post by pbenson »

Please excuse my ignorance on this matter, but I was asked today about the following scenario and I don't know the answer.

A client has several pre-existing backup jobs that are less than ideal. They were setup by a former employee, and the logic for their design no longer applies as the organization has changed considerably. The current Veeam admin wants to create new backup jobs that will better align with the current application dependencies. So here is what the current jobs would look like:

Backup Job #1 - VM A, VM B & VM C
Backup Job #2 - VM D, VM E & VM F

Let's say each VM has 7 restore points (a daily retained for one week). Now the organization would rather have the following jobs created:

New Backup Job #1: VM A & VM E
New Backup Job #2: VM B, VM C & D
New Backup Job #3: VM F

Would creating these new jobs wipe out all of the existing restore points for the individual VMs that existed under the old jobs? Meaning that if we created the new jobs today, would the restore points for the previous 7 days still be available? Would this cause any problems for a restore?

I'm running a test in the home lab to learn the answer for myself, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask here as well.

Thanks!
pbenson
Veeam Software
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Patrick Benson

Re: Question Regarding Backup Jobs & Associated VM Restore Points

Post by pbenson »

So I recreated the scenario in my home lab, and all of the restore points were still intact following moving the VMs into other jobs. I deleted the original job and the restore points still remained. Seems to be just fine. So simple, but just hadn't thought it through. Sometimes you just need to do it in the lab to have it sink in.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Question Regarding Backup Jobs & Associated VM Restore Points

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Hi Patrick, correct, unless you use the Delete from Disk command, the old restore points will remain until you remove them manually. However, don't forget to do so once your new chains reach the required retention, otherwise, these files will stay on disk forever as they are not subject to any Veeam B&R automatic retention now.