Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Biggen
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Rodman Frowert

Quick Migration fails for Instant VM Recovery

Post by Biggen »

I have a single ESXi 6 Host with VCSA 6 that I have been using for testing/evaluating Veeam NFR 8. I can successfully backup and restore VM's with no issue. I can also do file level recovery of Linux VM's with no problem (although it did take some work figuring out the permissions required to restore said files back to the guest). FYI, I am running a Windows 2012 R2 server as a VM on the same host. This is also where Veeam 8 is installed.

However, I can't figure out Quick Migration. I got it to work one time out of 5 attempts and I don't know why it worked the one time as I followed the exact same steps for subsequent attempts that failed. Here is what I am doing:

1. Create a Test VM on host (Linux)
2. Backup Test VM with Veeam via Backup Job
3. Delete Test VM on host
4. Initiate Instant Recovery of VM

Up until this point, everything works as expected - No error messages. I can use the VM in instant recovery and everything is running smoothly.

6. Initiate Quick Migration. Select the VM I want to Migrate (Test VM), point it to my single host, give the Migration wizard the same datastore/resource that the Test VM was running on before the deletion. Hit Finish and things begin to go badly...

I see the Veeam spins up a duplicate VM of the Instant VM and begins taking snapshots/copying data. So far so good. It then suspends the 'original' VM. Ok that is good too. Here is where it gets strange. Veeam also begins (according to Vcenter) reconfiguring the VM that Veeam itself is on (Windows 2012 R2 VM). It wants to add a second hard disk and this is where the error occurs. Here is the error message:

Code: Select all

5 (Input/output error)
Cannot open the disk '/vmfs/volumes/02c6b605-f03f047c/Test VM_6e3f53fe-9512-473b-942a-2410bf8c6ca5/Test VM-000001.vmdk' or one of the snapshot disks it depends on. 
Failed to power on scsi0:1. 
Failed to add disk scsi0:1.
Veeam continues to attempt to reconfigure my Windows VM over and over and fails every time. Meanwhile, the Instant VM that was suspended cycles between inaccessible and suspended. The VM that Veeam spun-up for the migration remains powered off the whole time.

Once that error message starts, I basically have to hard reset the Windows 2012 R2 VM. Any thoughts? Why is Veeam not able to attach the disk it needs to the Windows VM properly?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Quick Migration fails for Instant VM Recovery

Post by foggy »

Rodman, please contact technical support and let them analyze quick migration log files.
Biggen
Lurker
Full Name: Rodman Frowert

Post by Biggen »

Foggy,

Will they offer me support even though this is the NFR license?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Yes, though based on staff availability.
Wyf8621
Lurker

Post by Wyf8621 »

Hi All,

Any solution for this case? I meet the same problem now.
Thank you!
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

There's no case ID in this thread. so we cannot track it down. Please contact technical support directly with this request.
alanbolte
Veteran
Liked: 174 times
Full Name: Alan Bolte

Post by alanbolte »

I happen to be familiar with the case; it was closed without a detailed root cause analysis. However, a more recent case is currently under investigation by Support. The issue is specific to using Veeam Quick Migration (as opposed to starting vMotion via the Quick Migration wizard) and the Hot-Add (virtual appliance) transport mode. I won't go into more details at this time because the issue is still under investigation.

When you open a support case, please post the ID in this thread.