Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
karlochacon
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Carlos Chacon

Re-IPing takes a long time

Post by karlochacon »

hi guys

I am trying re-iping to my recovery site.

Original IP
Destination IP: 192.168.1.26
as you can see below http://screencast.com/t/54XdQK8eKjs

Now Iam doing a failover is re-iping over a Wndows 2008 R2 Standard SP1, VMNEXT3 for vNIC and it's been 14 minutes and nothing

http://screencast.com/t/Gv6dgRW5d

any idea... looks like much better doing the re-ip manually...but when there is one VM is OK, but for some more not OK

thanks a lot
karlochacon
Enthusiast

Re: Re-IPing takes a long time

Post by karlochacon »

by the way is still running 25 minutes and I cannot cancel it. how I can cancel it?

Update it finished asigning an 169.x.x.x IP :idea:

thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2722 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Carlos,

What is the connection link between your production and recovery sites? When it works fast, does it work fast for the VMs located on the DR site as well? Have you tried to perform failover operation for the affected VMs once again? Can you reproduce this behavior?

Taking a closer look at your job log files should also shed some light on this issue, so please open a support ticket to investigate this issue further.

Thanks!
dave_lub
Novice

Post by dave_lub »

I had the same problem that doing a re-ip of multiple VMs at the same time failed.
Support confirmed that this is a bug so the workaround is starting the failover process one by one.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev »

Generally speaking, Re-IP should work much faster when backup server is placed in the DR site. This is actually the recommended replication deployment scenario, because if you place the backup server in your production site, you will lose it along with site disaster and will not be able to perform failover at all...

I would not expect this process to take 30 min even with backup server in production site.

If you end up opening a support case, please post it her, so I can follow up with R&D.
karlochacon
Enthusiast

Post by karlochacon »

Well since this is affecting more people that I thought

looks like Re-ping is not an option for me
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev »

karlochacon wrote:Well since this is affecting more people that I thought
Well, you are actually the only one reporting the specific problem from your first post (out of over 50'000 customers). I would highly recommend opening support case before jumping to any conclusions, as this could be some simple environmental issue. And even if this is really a bug, R&D might be able to fix it in little time with the patch. But you do need to open a support case and provide the debug logs to support first, to initiate the whole process.