Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
dcm-ebb
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Edward B

recommend training path?

Post by dcm-ebb »

Hello,

This question is for anyone who has knowledge of the product. I have been using Backup & Replication for around two years now, and am interested in advancing my knowledge of the product.

I am not looking for a basics course on what the product is and does, as I have that information already from installing and using version 9 for several months over 5 data centers and subsequently upgrading to 9.5 then 9.5 update 2. I have backup & replication jobs configured and have used the product to do replication fail-over and full server restores. I am looking for a deeper dive in to what each of the settings in the product is and does, so I can subsequently recognize if I need to change some settings to take full advantage of the product functionality, or at least so I have an idea of what parts of my hardware infrastructure would most benefit from upgrade.

To summarize, I am looking to move up from being just a user of the product to being confident that I understand what the impact is of changing various settings, and how to identify which settings should be changed based on different hardware environments.

Keeping in mind that I have mostly worked for SMBs and am hoping to stay in that realm, so large data center operations are mostly an academic curiosity to me: Bonus points for anyone who now considers themselves an expert, but has been in my shoes and can describe what training resources they used to get to the next level.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: recommend training path?

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Edward.

Check Veeam Certified Engineer (VMCE) Certification training :wink:
slos
Influencer
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Steven Los

Post by slos » 1 person likes this post

I did four things before I obtained my VMCE and I recommend them to you prior to the VCME course as it provides more than enough background to skate through the VMCE course IMO.

Read this until you know it by heart: https://bp.veeam.expert
Read this until you know it by heart: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95 (or the hyper v version).
Get you VMSTP (don’t wiz through this one actually pay close attention).
Get your self a small lab and run all the deployment scenarios you can think of.
VMCE, MCSE
Zew
Veteran
Liked: 80 times
Full Name: Aemilianus Kehler

Post by Zew »

Sweet thanks for all the links and references.

Do you get a different title in the forms if you successfully pass and become a VMCE? Considering you stated you have your VMCE and are still only an Inflencer I'm going to assume not. :P
BartP
Veeam Software
Liked: 63 times
Full Name: Bart Pellegrino

Post by BartP » 1 person likes this post

If you get enough certificates, at one point you can get a light blue name :wink:
Bart Pellegrino,
Technical Account Manager - EMEA
Zew
Veteran
Liked: 80 times
Full Name: Aemilianus Kehler

Post by Zew »

Maybe one day!

Certificates are hard to obtain, and even more costly to uphold. When you aren't doing consulting work it becomes hard to have your current employer keep paying for them :P.