Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
i3uln
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: BUHYUN SONG

Recover databases by changing Oracle RAC (ASM) to Oracle Standalone

Post by i3uln »

CaseNumber: # 05858828

We succeeded in RMAN backup of Oracle RAC through scripts and plug-ins, and we are going to proceed with the recovery test.
Oracle RAC is using ASM functionality. (Deployed the Veeam rman plugin)

However, the customer wants a recovery test with Oracle Standalone rather than an Oracle RAC environment.
p2p recovery through Veeam recovery media, DBA attempted to recover the database after changing from Oracle RAC to Oracle Standalone and setting up ASM configuration, but the recovery failed (log collection failed).

Some instances are recovered, but others are not.
In my opinion, there is a missing part in the ASM Disk groups configuration.

I would like to proceed with RMAN recovery from Oracle RAC backup to Oracle Standalone, is there any additional confirmation?
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Recover databases by changing Oracle RAC (ASM) to Oracle Standalone

Post by Andreas Neufert »

RMAN based restores do not depend on anything Veeam beside the connection.
Can you please post the RMAN commands/script that you use for restore here so that we get an idea on what the process looks like?
rkp1977
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Raj Patel

Post by rkp1977 »

HI Guys,
We have been migrating RAC database (2 node only) using this approach. Where in, we shutdown RAC db, shutdown node 2, detach ASM disks from node 2, shutdown node 1, finish replication of disks to the target disks, start node 1, start Oracle instance on it, attach node 2 to the disks, start Oracle instance on node 2.

This approach has worked for migrations of many RAC db's, but lately in last migration, when we started db on target disks, we get error of datafile checkpoint change advanced (not in and higher than the last one recorded in CF and Redo logs) - ORA-01207. We couldnt move way forward thru this situation, even engaged ORacle Support to assist in this recovery scneario. Datafiles were not fuzzy too. Then as backout, shutdown vms on the target and started them with the source disks (they were intact), RAC db started without any issues.

ORacle says -As per the diagnostic data collected, it was found that the controlfile and redo logs were older versions then expected. datafiles were more recent
This is not a case of checkpoint moving back or forward. The storage replication gave you different versions of different files from different point-in-times.
There is no further evidence to collect at Oracle level since the entire activity has happened OUTSIDE of Oracle.
You should pursue this with the storage vendor.

I am wondering if Vsphere replication approach to convert RAC db to standalone for storage migration purpose has any pitfalls or not. It has worked for us in some, but has failed in this instance.

Thanks
Rai
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 520 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hello Raj and Welcome to Veeam R&D Forums!

Do I understand correctly that you used Veeam replication job to replicate disks? If it was native vSphere replication, I'd suggest asking this question on VMware Communities.

Also, it's worth clarifying how Oracle support made this conclusion:
The storage replication gave you different versions of different files from different point-in-times.
In fact, it seems strange that it worked fine for many migrations but failed for one of them. If the issue came from the storage vendor, all migration attempts would fail.

Thanks!