Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
mwatson536
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Mitch Watson

Remote Site backup

Post by mwatson536 »

Hello I am new to Veeam but we have a veeam backup server in our CO office and I want to back up one of our CA offices to the storage here in CO. Both sites are running Vmware 5 and are one two different Vcenter servers. Do I need to setup a proxy server in CA and if so does it need to be a separate server than one of the ones I have out there. I guess what would be the proper setup to back up CA to the CO storage/

Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Remote Site backup

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Mitch and welcome to the Veeam community!
mwatson536 wrote:Do I need to setup a proxy server in CA and if so does it need to be a separate server than one of the ones I have out there.
Yes, it`s a good idea which will speed up the backup process. It will be great to grant the backup proxy role to one of VMs with high Memory performance.
It`s considered as best practice to make a local backup(CA) and use backup copy job to copy it offsite(CO).
Thanks!
mwatson536
Influencer

Post by mwatson536 »

Ok thank you.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

You are welcome, Mitch.
Once you have a question, don`t hesitate asking.
mwatson536
Influencer

Post by mwatson536 »

Well ok so now there has been a change the site I was testing this on the CA site is not the one we need to test. So new set of parameters. Site NY has a Veeam backup server and is doing backups to local storage there nightly. We want to bring their data to CO for DR and our data to NY for DR. So a backup copy seems the right thing to to. I have read that I may need to seed the remote backups to reduce the backup windows? So Since I can not really find a good document that walks me through this how do I A.) seed the NY backup in CO B.) once that s done how do I setup the Backup Copy. Right now I do not have direct access to the storage repository in NY due to ACL but that can be fixed in need be.

DO I need to add the Vcenter in NY to my Veeam server in CO? Sorry for all the questions I am just new at Veeam.

Thanks
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Assign repository role to the remote server where backups to copy are currently stored (and vice versa) and leverage procedure described in this thread. Thanks.
Shestakov
Veteran

Post by Shestakov »

mwatson536 wrote:I have read that I may need to seed the remote backups to reduce the backup windows? So Since I can not really find a good document that walks me through this how do
You can use seeding to avoid copying the full backup(or initial chain) through WAN. It`s not obligatory though. All consecutive backup copy runs will be incrementals. In addition to Vladimir`s link, you can review the explanation provided in our user guide.
Once you`ve made the first run, for next runs we recommend to use WAN acceleration. Thanks!