Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
barnes
Lurker
Liked: never

Replica and Snap shots

Post by barnes »

Intro and Background
Hi there. We just started using B&R 9.5. We are seeing that each replication and restore point creates a snapshot. We have seen issues with our VM environment if we keep snapshots too long on our system. So we typically deep-six (remove) the snaps after a few days. But on a powered off VM we dont see issues on performance, since the VM is powered off.

So for example our prod server (server1) is being replicated daily at 05:00 (purely for example). We keep 3 restore points. Therefore we have 3 snapshots. These are stored on our DR vCenter. Because the first snapshot (from the first replica job) was not removed until day 4, we received an alert (like expected) telling us a snapshot is there and should be reviewed/taken care of, etc.

So the question:

If we keep the replica jobs as scheduled currently but if we remove the snapshots will that cause issues with fail-over? In other words - if we have three restore points, but delete two snapshots because they are hanging out in the vCenter longer that we normally keep them, will the fail-over work or will the fail over fail? Im in the process of aligning a test of the fail over by deleting a snapshot but figured I'd ask since there is some time before I can get the snapshot deleted.

Thanks!
ejenner
Veteran
Liked: 100 times
Full Name: EJ

Re: Replica and Snap shots

Post by ejenner »

Why would you create replicas that you're going to delete? If you want fewer replicas configure the schedule so fewer are made in the first place?

I don't believe recovery of non-deleted replicas would be affected by the deletion of replicas you don't want to use.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Replica and Snap shots

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Upon deleting the snapshot, changes are written to the parent snapshot disk, so you can safely do this. Existing snapshots will be available for failover.