Replicating a Domain Controller

VMware specific discussions

Re: Replicating a Domain Controller

Veeam Logoby lobo519 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:32 pm

Gostev wrote:Basically, you cannot pull a single DC from a multi-DC environment, and expect it to work in the isolated environment. Because what happens is it will fail to find replication partners (other DCs), and will stop the NETLOGON service.

Also, keep in mind that you must wait for the DC to automatically reboot (after it completes the VSS restore process) before attempting to logon.

One of these 2 points is likely the cause for your issue.

Please search the existing topics for more information and the detailed description of the DC restore.

So if I have two DC's and want to replicate them to a DR site, what is the correct way of doing this and turning them up in an DR event?

Can I just turn them both on? Or will on need to be put into authoritative restore mode?

If I lost just one domain controller - how should the replica be brought up?
lobo519
Expert

Liked: 34 times

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:02 pm

If I lost just one domain controller - how should the replica be brought up?

In this case, you can just do normal failback/failover operation, thus, DC would be brought up in automated non-authoritative mode and would be synced up with the other DCs automatically.

In fact, this sort of questions has been already covered several times. So, please take a look at the existing topics:

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 1006 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby lobo519 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:11 pm

Thanks for the info.

I don't doubt this has been covered before, So why not create a KB instead of referring people to pages and pages and pages in multiple threads and then links to other threads?!?! It can be tough to get a clean answer.

Its been asked by myself and several others here.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13780&start=15
lobo519
Expert

Veeam Logoby lobo519 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:54 pm

v.Eremin wrote:
Thanks for your input; highly-appreciated. I’ll send your feedback to our support team and will ask them to create the KB article.

Furthermore, what types of questions you’re particularly interested in or would like to see covered in the potential doco? The reason I’m asking it is that the DC restoration process is mostly automated, and rarely includes something apart the “restore DC, wait for it to boot, reboot, sync” procedure.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.

Something explaining what automation is included, what to expect during a restore, etc. What should be done/expected and differences when restoring via backup or replica. Something clear we can include in our DR procedures. You never know who might be trying to do the recovery.

I think the automation behind the restore somewhat clouds the produce of restore for some people in certain scenarios. I can understand that while the restoration of a DC somewhat falls outside of Veeam's responsibility, you have included automation of the process so I feel that you should provide documentation as to the scenarios you have prepared for and what may or may not need to be done when a restore is completed.
lobo519
Expert

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:16 pm

Ok, I’ve got your point.

Thanks again for your feedback.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 1006 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby bill s » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:36 am

Has there been a KBB article or any official documentation detailing how restoration should work??!?
bill s
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Bill

Veeam Logoby foggy » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:30 pm

Bill, could you please clarify what kind of restore are you referring to?
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1110 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby Majeedsk » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:13 pm

Thanks for all your support
There is 1 other way also to start the replicated domain controller.
1) Edit the Virtual machine and connect it to isolated network then go to boot options and force machine to bios setup and while booting press F8 and boot the machine in directory service repair mode.
2) After machine boot wait till the machine get stable and login with AD recovery account which is administrator and password and again wait around 5-10 min.
3) Restart the machine and let it go to normal mode.
4) After machine come in normal mode and if you get error "Active Directory: Naming Information cannot be located because the specified domain does not exist" then
5) Open regedit Browse to HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Ntfrs\Parameters\Backup/Restore\Process at Startup
Set the BurFlags value to D4 (Hex) / 212 (Dec)
Restart the "File Replication" service
6) ntdsutil
ntdsutil: roles
fsmo maintenance: connections
server connections: connect to server <servername>
serverconnections: q
fsmo maintenance: seize infrastructure master
fsmo maintenance: seize naming master
fsmo maintenance: seize pdc
fsmo maintenance: seize rid master
fsmo maintenance: seize schema master
fsmo maintenance: q
ntdsutil: q

Thanks
Majeed
Majeedsk
Lurker

Full Name: Majeed Ahmed

Veeam Logoby foggy » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:54 pm

foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1110 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

[MERGED] Question on replicating a Windows DC and failover

Veeam Logoby noworriesm8 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:19 pm

I am loving My Veeam Backup and replication.
I have migrated most of my Virtual machines to new hosts with little to know downtime using replication and failover.

I have yet to attempt the domain controller. It is windows server 2008 R2.
Do I need to do anything different? My plan was to replicate the DC/fileserver to a new host. Turn off the DC/fileserver on the old host. Run replication one final time for the incremental data that may have been missed. Failover to the new DC/fileserver on the new host. wait a day and click permanent failover, then remove the old host.

are there any caveats since this is a DC being moved? I would do Cold Quick migration, but I am trying to minimize downtime.

Thank you in advance.
noworriesm8
Lurker

Full Name: JR

Re: Question on replicating a Windows DC and failover

Veeam Logoby DGrinev » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:02 pm

Hi,

You don't have to do failover and initiate incremental replication manually as it can be done by planned failover.
Please review this discussion as it contains useful experience of replicating DCs. Thanks!
DGrinev
Veeam Software

Liked: 63 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Veeam Logoby noworriesm8 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:57 pm

I understand that. What I mean is when I failover after replication with the domain controller, do I need to do anything special? like boot the replica in ds restore mode? or just power off Old Domain controller and click failover?

PLanned failover is nice but I need to supervise the failover.
noworriesm8
Lurker

Full Name: JR

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:36 pm

No special things are required (given that this is a single DC VM). Please take a look at the topic above "Active Directory and DR Site" for more info.

Also here is a good read as well > How to recover a Domain Controller: Best practices for AD protection (Part 2)

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1120 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Previous

Return to VMware vSphere