Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
MartinM
Novice
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Martin Meyer

Replication, but what about the Veeam server?

Post by MartinM »

I am still pretty new to virtualization and to Veeam, but here goes. Imagine this scenario.

Host #1 (ESXi 5.5):
6 guests of which 1 is the Veeam server.

Host #2 (ESXi 5.5):
I want this as my Replication Job target.

NAS:
My default Backup Job repository. I run a Backup Job on this every single night, and it works like a charm.

I setup my Host #1 to replicate all guests to Host #2 through a Veeam Replication Job. Then disaster strikes, and Host #1 dies. Will Host #2 automatically "stand in" for Host #1, so that I can access Host #2 just as I did it with Host #1 before the disaster? Will all guests be exactly the same, and up to date, but only running from a different host?

Is this how a Replication Job works in Veeam?
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Replication, but what about the Veeam server?

Post by Shestakov »

Hello Martin,
MartinM wrote:Will Host #2 automatically "stand in" for Host #1, so that I can access Host #2 just as I did it with Host #1 before the disaster? Will all guests be exactly the same, and up to date, but only running from a different host?
Not automatically, you will have to start your VMs either using Veeam console or manually. In a case of disaster failover will work and your target host (Host #2) will work as a source. Then you have a choice either to with keep using the target host (Host #2) as a primary one, called permanent failover or to failback.

Thank you.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

MartinM wrote:Will all guests be exactly the same, and up to date, but only running from a different host?
In case of DR, you will be able to failover to the latest replica restore point available, so changes occurred inside the original VM since this restore point was created and until the actual DR will be lost (RPO).
MartinM
Novice

Post by MartinM »

Thank you for your replies. I would never want to do a permanent failover in my environment, because my Host #2 is way less powerful then Host #1.

But … What about doing the Failback. For doing that, I will need to be inside my Veeam server, with Veeam opened up and pressing the buttons - but then, all guests will be "failed back" to the Host #1. Wouldn't I lose the connection to my Veeam server session, as it does its Failback? Or is it (dream scenario) a matter of maybe one or two pings missed, and that I would probably never know anything happened, if I didn't know about it?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

MartinM wrote:Wouldn't I lose the connection to my Veeam server session, as it does its Failback? Or is it (dream scenario) a matter of maybe one or two pings missed, and that I would probably never know anything happened, if I didn't know about it?
In your case the full procedure for failover should look like this:

1. start the replicated Veeam backup server manually
2. do other VMs failover using your DR Veeam backup server console (in this case you will be able to automatically run a failback procedure)
3. once source site is up and running, initiate a failback operation for all VMs except backup server
4. replicate latest changes occurred on the DR backup server to the HQ host (via replication jobs and replica mapping functionality)
5. start Veeam backup server on the main site via vSphere Client

P.S. you could avoid steps 1,4,5 if your backup server managing replication jobs was located on the DR site (recommended approach).
MartinM
Novice

Post by MartinM »

Thank you. I will read up on your recommended approach regarding the location of the Veeam server.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Please note that you can keep your existing backup server for doing backup jobs and install the new server to manage replication jobs. The consolidated view of entire infrastructure will be achieved via installing Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager. Thanks!
jamesmaccallum
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: James MacCallum

[MERGED] Veeam Replication / Failover

Post by jamesmaccallum »

Hi. I have recently implemented Veeam replication to replicate virtual servers to a second geographic location. This is working wonderfully.

I currently have the Veeam Backup & Replicaton Console installed on a server in my "source" (main) site and I use this to manage my replication jobs. My question is, if something major happens at my source site which means the server with the Veeam management console in not operational, how do I manage / failover Veeam replicas to my second site?

Am I able to install the Veeam management console at my second site and have it manage the configuration from my main site?

James
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

You will be able to start your VM replicas manually via vSphere Client. If you want to manage all replication jobs from the Veeam backup console, then installing it in the DR site is indeed the recommended approach.
jamesmaccallum
Novice

Post by jamesmaccallum »

Hi. Thanks for the update (Its actually a hyper-v environment but the same principal applies).

So when I install Veeam at my DR site, what do I need to do to allow it to manage my existing jobs / servers / Veeam environment?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

You should recreate existing jobs on DR VB&R server. Otherwise, you can backup and restore VB&R server configuration. Thanks.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Also if you're running backup jobs against these VMs, then make sure replication and backup jobs do not overlap with each other.
jamesmaccallum
Novice

Post by jamesmaccallum »

Hi. I have a follow up question about the above (apologies for the large gap in posting).

I have now installed Veeam at my DR site. You mention above that I need to export the configuration from my Live site and restore it at the DR site. Can I double check this is correct? Does this mean that if job configuration changes at the Live site, I have to do another export and restore?

I though that once I had configured Veeam at my DR site and had added my DR servers and Live host servers to the infrastructure, I would be able to see my replicated VMs via Veeam at my DR site?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

You'd better maintain two separate instances, one responsible for backup jobs (local) and another responsible for replication jobs (remote). So after deploying the remote instance, just disable backup jobs there and replication jobs on the local one.
andriktr
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Andrej

Post by andriktr »

Hi,
We are planning to add Veeam B&R server on remote DR site for only for replication jobs. How about licensing in this case? Will we need to split them beetween the B&R servers.
Also how failover will be performed in case if our vCenter is on primary site and will be not avalable during disaster? Can we for example replicate vCenter VM as well and perform failover from B&R server on DR site.
Thank you.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

andriktr wrote:We are planning to add Veeam B&R server on remote DR site for only for replication jobs. How about licensing in this case? Will we need to split them beetween the B&R servers.
As long as the number of sockets on the hosts you're backing up/replicating VMs from does not exceed the number specified in the license, you're ok. You can use use Enterprise Manager that will push the license to both backup servers.
andriktr wrote:Also how failover will be performed in case if our vCenter is on primary site and will be not avalable during disaster? Can we for example replicate vCenter VM as well and perform failover from B&R server on DR site.
Replicating vCenter Server is one of the options.