Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
dvdrbc
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: David Rubic

Replication Design Query

Post by dvdrbc »

Hi guys,

Currently I have 2 sites, Head Office and our Warehouse across the road from us, connected via 1GB Fiber.
This is a flat network and both sites sit on 10.0.55.0/24 network.

Head Office:
1 Physical Veeam B&R Server/Proxy/Backup Repo
3 ESXi Hosts
1 vCenter VM
20 Windows VMs
4 Linux VMs

Warehouse:
2 Standalone ESXi Hosts with Local Storage

Now I want to do replication of our Tier 1 VM's every 30 mins and the rest of the VM's can be once a day.

My questions are:
1. Do I need to add a virtual Veeam B&R server at the Warehouse site to handle replication and leave the physical server at Head Office to do backups? (So I can do failover via the Veeam Console? Is this recommended?)
2. Do I need to configure any proxies at either site or is the current physical Veeam B&R server at Head Office enough?
3. Do I need to add a virtual Domain Controller to the Warehouse site in case complete fail over is necessary?
4. If I split the Warehouse site into it's own VLAN at some stage, and enable Re-IP on the replication jobs, do I need to add a virtual Domain Controller in the Warehouse site for the replicas to update DNS? (I have 3 other DC's in other parts of the country)

I think that's all the questions I have for now, thank you.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Replication Design Query

Post by foggy »

1. Yes, this is a recommended approach.
2. You need a proxy at the remote site as well, for optimal data transfer (otherwise data will be sent uncompressed).
3-4. If you still have other accessible DC's even in case of complete loss of the Head Office, I believe this is not necessary.