Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
tom11011
Expert
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Tom

Replication DNS issues

Post by tom11011 »

Thought I would post here as well maybe for a faster answer. My support case is 5194363.

I'm trying to create a target proxy for my siteB DR site.

Right now, replication is working ok when I simply use the backup server itself as both the source and target proxy. I want to see if I can get better performance though by using a target proxy. I have installed the target proxy without issue, but the job fails when I try to use it. Here are some logs I have noticed. DNS is working ok so I don't understand why a dns lookup is failing.
homerjnick
Expert
Liked: 35 times
Full Name: Nick Mahlitz

Re: Replication DNS issues

Post by homerjnick »

So can your Veeam B&R server resolve the DNS name of your new target proxy ok? Does it ping and return the correct IP address?
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

In some designs we realized, I used directly the IP addresses of all the Veeam servers around, both proxies and repositories, right to avoid this kind of issue.
If you can deal with numbers instead of names, it can be a quick trick.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
tom11011
Expert
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Tom

Post by tom11011 »

This turned out to be a dns issue.
habibalby
Veteran
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Hussain Al Sayed

Post by habibalby »

Well, DNS/name resolution all depends on how your infrastructure setup. for my Veeam Infrastructure /vSphere Infrastructure I don't use my production DNS at all as the vSphere Infrastructure located on different subnet other than my production.

vCenter as a VM act as DNS Role beside the vSphere Management Subnet. That's turned out to have Veeam Server to contact the vSphere on it's Subnet, DNS pointed to the vCenter and all ESXi hosts pointing to the vCenter as a DNS.

Backup Proxy's beside the vSphere Management Subnet and DNS points to the vCenter Server.

A complete DNS architecture make your life easy to troubleshoot and you can use the /etc host file to define your hosts and their IPs.

Thanks,